Arm length or FC for wind

jfro

Aerial Fun
For an x8 at kg, what do peeps think is more important for stability in 15-20mph winds. Assume stable frame, balanced motors and props.

Something like a 650mm to 850mm x8 motor to motor span or the flight controller?

Old Man

Both are equally important. With the wrong FC it won't be stable at any size. I have a 545mm X8 that's flat rock solid but the FC has as much, or more, to do with that as the motor layout.

jfro

Aerial Fun
You running your Pixhawk on the 545? What size motors?
I just built a 2nd Avroto 3515 x8 and tried 650mm. I put my Naza on it to directly compared it to my 850mm with same motors. I thought the 850mm handled better in the wind, but really didn't give it much of a chance. Tempted to try the Pixhawk on one of them.

Hexacrafter

Manufacturer
From our experiences, a larger disk is always more stable than a smaller one with everything else equal..
That being said... The thing most do not consider is that as the disc gets smaller, the prop was moves closer to the center.....
If you are hauling rocks..... no problem..... but place a camera & gimbal in this zone and the footage suffers from prop wash.... especially with heavy lifters where the thrust vector is VERY strong.....

jfro

Aerial Fun
From our experiences, a larger disk is always more stable than a smaller one with everything else equal..
That being said... The thing most do not consider is that as the disc gets smaller, the prop was moves closer to the center.....
If you are hauling rocks..... no problem..... but place a camera & gimbal in this zone and the footage suffers from prop wash.... especially with heavy lifters where the thrust vector is VERY strong.....

I'm didn't stress out the camera flying with the 3515's on the 650 frame, but I just didn't like how it handled in moderate winds. I may not have given it enough time, but prop wash would most likely be an issue at times with 15 or 16" props being that close.....

Anyway, I'm back to the 850mm on this unit and will be content. Just was looking for something a little easier to haul around.

Thanks for the input.