AR8000 failsafe fails when reception on the limit

The setup: S800 + Wookong M + AR8000.

- DX8 on
- S800 on
- flip the mode switch for checking the reception (at 42 sec)
- upload the route
- manual take off
- hit GO in the GroundStation

Have done this ca 10-15 times before. As soon the drone cannot be seen anymore, RC reception is usually lost. When the drone completes its route and comes back (as the last point of route is the same as the first point), the RC reception is restored. I flip the mode switch from GPS atti to Atti and back - which cancels the route and gives control to the RC. Then I land the drone manually.

But this time the drone decided to "flip the mode switch" by itself, quite soon after starting - apparantly in the area of unreliable reception. Which resulted in a crash as nobody was operating the RC at the time and the drone was off the sight.

When analyzing the iOSD data (see the attachment) I can see the U channel signal makes strange surges when the reception is weakening:
- at 224 sec to +1000
- at 282 sec to -400
- at 285 sec to +40 (which was interpreted as mode switch flip by the Wookong)
- the last surge is already at the point of the crash

As far as I can understand, such surges shouldn't never happen - the signal should either maintain it's last known level (or switch to the preset failsafe level if this mode was chosen - and this was not chosen in my setup), but at this case the U channel has just some random values. And one of those random values was interpreted as switch to "atti mode".

Is this a faulty AR8000? Or can there be any other reasons to this?

Attachments

• U-chan.jpg
    U-chan.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 229