Anyone using Camremote? (have a problem)

Quinton

Was bored tonight so started to have a good play with camremote.
I noticed that when plugged into the PC it never showed anything for zoom in/out or idle in the software.
Is this normal, or do I have a problem.
I can get everythig else to show OK and can control shutter speed, ISO Aperture, auto focus..just cant get the other controls to show up no matter what setting I put it in.
In the manual I can see things like Idle show but I never see it.

View attachment 15410

Attachments

• cm0.png
    cm0.png
    3.4 KB · Views: 182

jes1111

Assuming camremote is a LANC-type system, it's probably because your camera doesn't respond to the LANC-standard signals for zoom/in/out. What model is it?

Quinton

Assuming camremote is a LANC-type system, it's probably because your camera doesn't respond to the LANC-standard signals for zoom/in/out. What model is it?

It is the 5D MK3 and it is via USB, so it "should work"
Also I have just found a problem, as it seems to be working in the software at least.
I bought a 2nd hand transmiter from a person a couple of months ago, and he threw in a 6 channel receiver with it for free...just checked it out and channel 2 doesn't b*oody work :)
No wonder I had so many problems setting simplebgc gimbals up with it...

Now lets see if I can get this thing working now :)

Sorry meant to say focus..not zoom

Last edited by a moderator:

jes1111

Ah - focus ;)

Probably needs the lens switched to Manual focus - possibly before the remote is attached. I've tried many of the available tethering systems and the generic ones can be a bit temperamental. Likely the issue is with a camera setting that's "blocking" manual focus rather than a camremote problem.

Quinton

Ah - focus ;)

Probably needs the lens switched to Manual focus - possibly before the remote is attached. I've tried many of the available tethering systems and the generic ones can be a bit temperamental. Likely the issue is with a camera setting that's "blocking" manual focus rather than a camremote problem.
This is my biggest worry.
I have installed Magic Lantern, and to do so you need to "downgrade" the firmware to get it installed. (The biggest PITA about ML)
Least for now I can control ISO, Shutter Speed and Aperture, and start/stop video and take stills, so its pretty good.. I'm just being greedy to expect everything to work like its supposed to.

andrewrob

This is my biggest worry.
I have installed Magic Lantern, and to do so you need to "downgrade" the firmware to get it installed. (The biggest PITA about ML)
Least for now I can control ISO, Shutter Speed and Aperture, and start/stop video and take stills, so its pretty good.. I'm just being greedy to expect everything to work like its supposed to.

From memory I have to have my lens set to auto focus to allow me to manual focus with the camremote (as its using the AF motor). Which lens are you using? Not all are supported.

Quinton

From memory I have to have my lens set to auto focus to allow me to manual focus with the camremote (as its using the AF motor). Which lens are you using? Not all are supported.

I would love to get the focus to work also.
I was trying it on the 16-35mm I have a few other lenses I can try, 70-200, 85mm or the 24-105mm
I emailed them but have not got a reply yet.
I will give it another go soon on a different lens just to see, if that does not work I will upgrade the firmware again, but I want it with Magic Lantern.

Last edited by a moderator:

andrewrob

I would love to get the focus to work also.
I was trying it on the 12-35mm I have a few other lenses I can try, 70-200, 85mm or the 24-105mm
I emailed them but have not got a reply yet.
I will give it another go soon on a different lens just to see, if that does not work I will upgrade the firmware again, but I want it with Magic Lantern.

I wonder if they're not starting back until monday then. I've always found their support to be ridiculously good. When I bought mine (well over a year ago) I noticed that the ISO option was labelled "TO DO" as in it will be on a later release, so I asked them roughly when I was really keen on having that facility and they emailed me straight back (bare in mind this is all at 11pm on a friday night) asked me which model of camera I had, then sent me back a custom firmware with the ISO facility.
Which version of the camremote firmware are you running? I could send you my custom one they gave me for you to try (PM me your email address if you do)

Quinton

I wonder if they're not starting back until monday then. I've always found their support to be ridiculously good. When I bought mine (well over a year ago) I noticed that the ISO option was labelled "TO DO" as in it will be on a later release, so I asked them roughly when I was really keen on having that facility and they emailed me straight back (bare in mind this is all at 11pm on a friday night) asked me which model of camera I had, then sent me back a custom firmware with the ISO facility.
Which version of the camremote firmware are you running? I could send you my custom one they gave me for you to try (PM me your email address if you do)

2.7.67 Firmware
I have just updated to the latest 5d Firware too 1.2.3 and removed ML and gave it a try, still not working.
It all working on the camremote PC software, I can see zoom in/out etc when I move the controller.
Thanks for the offer, I have PMd you my email.

Quinton

Ok Thanks for your version, it was basically the same as what I was getting ..However..

In the screenshot you sent me I seen it was set to channel 0 execute and channel 1 function..I tried this and set a pot and a stick on the controller, and it gave me loads of functions on the PC but not all worked on the camera, so I will contact them about this.
I did manage to get the focusing sorted with that setting though, so it really does look promising.
It would be abit hard to work with that setting though, as you have 2 controls which all need set exactly to get what you want, as in the picture below..
So everything works..just not as described in the manual.
This controller is great, just a bit buggy for the 5D at the moment.

View attachment 15444

Attachments

• camremote.jpg
    camremote.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 280