MultiWii / NAZE / SP Racing F3 Anyone using Arducopter 2.0 ?

Hi, we are building our hexacopter using the ardupilot board, hope to have it flying by the end of the week, will let you know how it goes, have posted a thread in the newcomer section.

ovdt

Hello midnight999,

I'll be very glad to hear your experience. Hope you fly your bird without problems.

I have the full Arducopter set up, Xbee, GPS but was scared away by my difficulty connecting to the mission planner and not knowing if code was loaded correctly or not. I bought a small quad frame to test it on instead of mounting it on my $5000 Droidworx Cinema Series-C6. So far I have not put the time in it to work properly. The thought of it crashing due to a software glitch not pilot error was sickening my stomach so I opted for the Hoverfly Pro board for ease of set up. I do like all of the add ons you can buy for Arducopter but I didn't have the time for all of the tweaking that seemed necessary. I am a pretty decent pilot and if I crash I want it to be my fault not the computer.
I'm not sure what I am going to do with it. I may just try to sell it and get 80% on the dollar back for it. I'm not sure. For now it is on the shelf next to my Dragon OSD. I will update you If I start to work with it again.

Gunter

Draganflyer X4
I have studied all of the systems, so here is my view. (I haven't used any of them yet, I have just spent the last few months trawling the internet trying to figure out the best system for my build!)

- Arducopter - most reasonably priced, but still needs a lot of fine tuning with regards to altitude hold, gps hold etc. Lots of settings which haven't been sorted yet.
- Mikrokopter - By far the best, but very complicated to get working, too many settings and not enough "friendly" user guides. Also pricey, even more so if you want to buy a commercial license.
- Hoverfly - This looks to me to be the best at the moment, user friendly guides, "how to" videos, simple installation with minimal soldering. They are a bit behind MK with regards to GPS etc but new boards are being released soon with GPS capability. Probably what I am going to go for shortly.

Hope this is accurate and helps!

ovdt

I'm no longer considering ArduCopter, even it's reasonably priced. I have two sets of Mikrokopter electronics, 3 OP CC boards, 1 DJI W-M FC. (Total 6 flight controllers, I'll buy OpenPilot Pro once they start to sell).

I'm done investing on flight controls. It's time to take videos and photos and concentrating on video smoothness.

Learning how to tune different flight controllers makes no sense. Being master on one flight control is far better than knowing little of tuning different control boards.

I'm no longer considering ArduCopter, even it's reasonably priced. I have two sets of Mikrokopter electronics, 3 OP CC boards, 1 DJI W-M FC. (Total 6 flight controllers, I'll buy OpenPilot Pro once they start to sell).

I'm done investing on flight controls. It's time to take videos and photos and concentrating on video smoothness.

Learning how to tune different flight controllers makes no sense. Being master on one flight control is far better than knowing little of tuning different control boards.

Shucks you do have some toys!!! I bet you have a name for all your control boards!!! :)

DennyR

I am currently using Arducopter 2.0.40.
It is the best that I have yet tried. Also with Multipilot32

redfox74

Hi Denny,
I'm Roberto from www.virtualrobotix.com . We are doing a lot of work on Arducopter32 .
The Arducopter32 is the name used for 32 bit revision of Arducopter 2.x that use Multipilot32 as Board.
In the next week we release a major revision of code with a lot of improvment .
The MP32 have more Flash 512 kbyte instead of 256 , 64 kbyte ram and 72 mhz of cpu speed instead of 16 as APM . So we can use a lot of power to improve the perfomance of standard Arducopter.
Denny are you yet tested the http://www.virtualrobotix.com/profiles/blogs/arducopter32-ver-2-0-39-is-alive
This is the last flying and test doing on platform ?
Are you follow this improvment Denny ?
Best
Roberto

DennyR

Yes but I am still waiting for the NEW board that I ordered, if you are working on new things then take your time over it. I will stay updated with revisions. The migration from the Mega board will take some time with the testing untill I am totally sure of reliability. Then it will be a permanent addition as I will need the advanced IMU features that we did discuss. 2.0.40 is the most stable platform that I have yet seen, thus far.

We are using Ardupilot on our hexa, with mixed feelings, stable mode is really great, however loiter mode has been a constant problem, with altitude surges that would surely end in a crash if left unchecked, I'm using 2.0.39b as I cannot select 2.0.40 with the mission planner, it automaticaly gets 2.0.39b, I have heard the newer firmware is a lot better so will try it as soon as its added to the mission planner. We also have issues with wrong voltage readouts on the mission planner via exbee, this has resulted in 1 crash when we thought we had plenty of battery left according to the display, however they went dead in flight. My biggest gripe perhaps is that when you post any questions on their forum, replies are very hit and miss, in fact I haven't had a response form the dev team on any firmware questions, although Michael Obourne is very quick to respond with mission planner issues, I hope we can get it sorted out soon because wookong m is looking more and more tempting all the time.

matwelli

interesting, i have run NG code and 2.038, an loiter dosent work well for me, but could be a compass issue

will be keen to try 2.040

to run it you need to use arduino and compile it yourself (not to hard to do)

DennyR

I was not happy with loiter so I did not use it. It does work ok with 2.0.44. I just checked the weight of my CC board against a Multipilot 32 plus DIY Drones imu. plus Sonar plus GPS plus Telemetry and CC is about 90 grams lighter. Thats almost a motor! As I don't use most of the nav.functions I am going to give CC some good testing to see where I am with it. I like to keep things simple. I never had a problem with my minsoo kim boards.

Jason Short is very good at helping out with problems AC. he has done an amazing amount of work, that man must never sleep.

Last edited by a moderator: