MultiWii / NAZE / SP Racing F3 Anyone using APM 2.5 for aerial filming?

ovdt

Hello guys,

I'm wondering if any of you is using APM 2.5 for aerial filming and photogaphy? I am using MK extensively. I also have a WKM X8 setup but not happy with it right now. I'm happy with MK, only limitation with the original hardware is not being able to use big motors and 6S batteries. I can lift a Canon 5D Mark III wih 24mm prime lens easily with Cinestart MK Octo, but I'm thinking to move 6S with lower KV motors for longer flight times.

I'm willing to try APM 2.5 with a CineStar 8 frame and relatively a big camera. Another option is Autoquad 6 but it's more pricey when compared to APM 2.5.

I don't wanna stick to MK or WKM; my drone life needs some changes :) (Hoverfly is not option right now since I'm convinced with their GPS yet).

I'm also building drones for local police force and they need longer waypoint than the MK offers with its standard licence (250 meters). And the price MK asks for 500 meter radius waypoint is far behind the budget.

I'd like to hear the setups if you guys are using.

Thanks.

dazzab

I'm setting up a Droidworx SkyJib Lite X4 coax right now that I plan to use an APM 2.5 on with Arducopter. I started with two 3D Robotic's copters and have been working with APM for about six months with Canberra UAV (see http://canberrauav.com).

I'm hoping that the PX-4 will be updated and ready to go before I'm ready to fly the Droidworx. It has a lot more processing power and memory. I am a bit biased as I know one of the APM developers well. I also have never used any other flight controller so I have nothing to compare to. I don't really mind paying for the commercial flight controllers but I think some of their pricing models are questionable and from what I have learned I really think the APM is at least comparable in functionality and will very quickly overtake what is available commercially. There are some very impressive people working on the project and it's moving along very rapidly.

I'm happy to share my experiences here and I will post video of the results. So, stay tuned.

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
I have one sitting on the shelf waiting for me to find the time to install it on my Droidworx AD6, also waiting on an Alexmos controller to complete another brushless gimbal that will be used with it. If it works well on the AD6 I may move it to the Cinestar 6 to see how it compares overall to the current Wookong-m on that frame.

I have another APM 2.5 currently flying on a Hoverthings FlipFPV frame that I use for FPV and from what I've seen so far it does everything my Naza powered Discovery FPV quad can do and more. Altitude hold and GPS position hold work just as well as the Naza and the bonus is the transition between all flight modes is seamless. I haven't yet tried the waypoint functionality, I've only had it flying since last December and winter in New England isn't the time to be sitting outside with a laptop. Now that the weather is warming I'll be looking to give the waypoint a try soon. I've used the Mk waypoint quite a bit in the past and if the APM works at least as well I'll be happy with that, it's not a function that I use a lot or have a particular need for.

I won't be receiving the Alexmos controller for another week or two so the AD6/APM won't be flying until I have all the pieces to complete the build.

Ken

ovdt

Thank you guys,

I'm also ordering APM 2.5 with GPS unit. I will test this on my old Droidworx AD6 V2 frame with AV200 camera mount. I'll also update once I start building this craft.

BatCam

RPAS Pilot
Hey guys, I also just ordered APM 2.5 with minimOSD to build a disco with. I don't expect all of the parts to arrive at least for 3-4 weeks and will check back here when I begin the build

dazza22

Hi everybody...I just sold my naza gps. I am that impressed with my APM2.5 . Just make sure you spend the time getting the vibration down going to the APM and all will be good.. I have flown RTL ,loiter, ALT hold and best of all Auto waypoint with auto take off and landing . I now setting up a Tarot FY680 with the intension aerial filming

Brugamer

Just to toss a little gas on this Team Black Sheep told me today they have a APM 2.5 Disco in the works now. I asked if they would build one. And that is the response I was given

Kilby

3DR sponsors the DC meetup group I'm in. I'm one of the few guys there not using APM, but I think I'm going to pik one up for testing. I like the fact that you can set the max angle with atti mode. I like to crank that thing up o about 80-85 degrees for FPV.

ovdt

Okay, my parts arrived, I mostly assembled the componenets to Droidworx CX4. I did all the calibrations. Only hardware change that I will make is to change 3DR power module, which only supports maximum 18V and when plugging in 4S lipo, the spikes can make it fail. So, I ordered this instead: https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10644

I purchased over 3DRobotics official web site to support their effort. The only problem is with the power modules. If you need to sens the voltage and current, tihs module is kind of a must and you should change it with the one I linked above.

The wiki over diydrones and forums are plenty helpful. They have great community there.

What I need to do right now is to fly this bird and dial in the PID settings which is the hardest part of this setup. People recommends auto tuning, I will also try that.

My parts:
Droidworx CX4
MT2814- 770KV
13" props
APM 2.5 + GPS
Graupner MX16

I will add a brushless gimbal under.

What I need to do right now is to fly this bird and dial in the PID settings which is the hardest part of this setup. People recommends auto tuning, I will also try that.

Interesting - I've got 2 x APM 2.5+'s and don't know about the "auto tune" for PID's. You have to do it 'the hard way' (althought there is a good instruction page/video to help). Speaking of which, I need to do mine. It's further complicated that the scales for Acro mode Rates is not the same as the rates used by the auto modes, so you need to tune the auto modes while in the air... :dread:

ovdt

Interesting - I've got 2 x APM 2.5+'s and don't know about the "auto tune" for PID's. You have to do it 'the hard way' (althought there is a good instruction page/video to help). Speaking of which, I need to do mine. It's further complicated that the scales for Acro mode Rates is not the same as the rates used by the auto modes, so you need to tune the auto modes while in the air... :dread:

Auto tuning is explained here:

https://code.google.com/p/arducopter/wiki/AC2_Tweaks#In-flight_tuning

And also:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGiX-8m-6fw

Last edited by a moderator:

Ah, that's not what I would call "auto tuning" ^this is the "hard way" for me!

Auto for me is "plug it in, press a button, it works it all out and sets the parameters, and then you fly". :)

jrlederer

Ah, that's not what I would call "auto tuning" ^this is the "hard way" for me!

Auto for me is "plug it in, press a button, it works it all out and sets the parameters, and then you fly". :)

Haha...that will mark a major evolution in Arducopter configuration; the day it is simply press a button and everything is optimally configured.

An interesting note on this subject is that I have recently been experimenting (rather in-depth, as I have configured a Bluetooth->3DRadio adapter that allows me to utilize a great program called AndroPilot to use a Samsung Note Tablet to configure all aspects of the Arducopter setup, including follow-me and waypoint) with two separate APM 2.5 set ups and have been having outstanding results -- so much so that often I go out with the intention of fully tuning all of the PIDs involved, which is kinda a lot, and I frequently find that after setting up the main Rate P value to an acceptable level, I often waste away 3 or 4 batteries just enjoying flying the bird rather than completing the task a hand. I am really very very impressed with the performance of this amazing (and cheap) device, though I should add that it is only relatively recently that the results have been so good. Back before, I believe version 2.7x I did not achieve satisfactory results, but ever since whatever update made it so much better, it has been very good.

I honestly can't say enough about this device (and i have had the chance to test more flight controllers than I'd care to admit -- from KK to AQ6 to Mikrokopter to DJI Naza, WK-M, Ace one, etc) and can only imagine how much better it is destined to be if things continue as they have been. The support forum is very helpful and documentation is thorough. RTFM is a major theme and great advice for those who decide to venture into these waters, as moderators and developers have spent countless hours refining the documentation to reflect proper methods to achieve great flight characteristics.

** sorry for the long post **

RotorJockey

I do not want to 'hi-jack' the thread, but seeing you all know the APM 2.5 and +, please give me a few comments on the APM 2.0. Is it still viable?

jrlederer

I believe 2.5 and 2.0 have negligible performance difference.

@RotorJockey -- check your PMs, I sent you a longer, more detailed explanation.

dazzab

But keep in mind that future development is moving to the PX4. The APM really has been maxed out and doesn't have the cpu power or memory required for what's coming. Arducopter/Ardupilot runs exactly the same on the PX4 as the APM so it's easy to move platforms.

RotorJockey

Thanks very much Guys. That helps a lot to get me going on a scratch-build frame (with all the pros and cons), and got your PM jr...

Kind regards
Paul