Anyone flown today.

Area21

Area21
With KPi in the 6 + level. Has anyone flown today and if so have you experienced any GPS problems ?

F

fengshuidrone

No, I didn't fly but I wasn't having any problems hooking up to 7 satellites in my living room.

rupP

I didn't fly after checking forecast. High Kp (NOAA gave 7+) and gusting wind to 35mph. Shame it was a beautiful morning here in Wiltshire, first one for some time.
Did you experience problems yourself or did the forecast put you off too?

Last edited by a moderator:

F

fengshuidrone

I have an app that I use to control my Multiwii FC. It has a GPS section with both geomagnetic and solar event warnings. On days of red warning indicators I don't try to fly using GPS. But I can still fly NOT using GPS.

Area21

Area21
I really only use gps for my fail safe get me home which doesn't stop me flying in Attitude or Manual. But without gps there is a higher risk to consider when deciding on whether to fly or not.

Mactadpole

Just thought I would chime in and say I have flown the past two days using GPS for mission and non-mission flights with no issues.

20+ sats on my CSGShop M8N XL.

F

fengshuidrone

Just thought I would chime in and say I have flown the past two days using GPS for mission and non-mission flights with no issues.

20+ sats on my CSGShop M8N XL.
What Flight Controller do you use to do your missions? APM? Multiwii? Just curious.

F

fengshuidrone

APM Ardupilot descendant made by 3dr. Nice. That was my second choice of FC because it was too expensive for me.

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
We check the KP before every op and have alarms set to sound during an Op if there is a solar storm. Bearing in mind that high KP wont affect the number of sats you can lock onto but it will affect the quality of the signal. It will also affect your compass and the A2 has a habit of flying away if the compass goes doolally.

Area21

Area21
I am glad someone takes notice of space weather in a safe proactive way. Interested as to how you a have set KPi alarms .

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
KPI alarms are done through an APP called solar monitor. I am one of those sad geeks with an Apple watch and the alarm comes through on my watch with a vibrating alert which helps, especially if flying close in and I cant hear the phone.

Mactadpole

Same here, never a problem getting sat lock with 6+ kp index or full blown mag storm.
I'll second this comment. I have had to get flights in between rains for mapping purposes in remote locations with "full blown mag storm" as well and never seen an issue.