Anyone else built a 250 size hi performance FPV quad?

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
Have now had a couple of flights with my new Spanky FPV quad, what a blast.

My setup is Afro 12A ESC's, SunnySky 2204 2300kv motors on 3S, CC3D FCU, PPM control via 14SG, TBS vTx, RunCam 0420H camera, Mobius camera can be mounted on top, or I can put the FPV on top and GoPro on the lower mount.

Still playing around with tuning and mounting of the FPV gear.

Cheers

Pete

cootertwo

Yes, I've built 2 Qav250's They are a blast to fly, but a pain locating all the equipment, wiring etc. etc. I wish there were more pictures of other peoples setups. Mostly all you find on you tube, is videos of them flying. I'm using Naza Lite on both. 3c on one, and 4c on the other. Had one with MC and receiver, on bottom plate, battery on top. Tried the other with battery on bottom plate, and Naza on top. Now rebuilding both, to have Naza, video TX and receiver on the bottom, and battery on top. Big pain with different cameras, 5 volt, 12 volt, regulators, etc. etc. Also had GPS puck on both, but have found it to easy to get hung up in trees. Have to go to the post office today to pick up more parts. Damned addictive hobby.:)

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
Have not found it a problem loading up all the gear on the Spanky plenty of room, will post some pics this afternoon.

Pete

G

...guest...

I'm on my third and looking for a 4th (likely the BAH Nemesis) to be the flagship of my mini drone armada lol. :nevreness:

So far I've built out a Blackout Mini-H (230mm), a Lumenier QAV250, and more recently a prototype Armattan (250mm).

I will say these things are not easy to fly. Fun as heck to fly for sure - as in your adrenaline is ready to pop out of your ears screaming around the park at what seems like mach speed. But wow, they are not easy to fly. Even worse, as someone still learning, I crash a LOT. So pretty much I'm spending my week rebuilding these minis for a couple hours of heart pounding flying over the weekend that inevitably ends up in crashed minis.

cootertwo

Ha Ha Ha, It only took me a couple of days to learn to stock up on props! I'll bet I have at least 10 or 12 sets ready to replace the broke ones. Picked up some self locking nuts today, at ACE. The kind with the nylon insert. Lost too many of the regular nuts, trimming bushes. I'm retired/retard, and usually go through 4 or 5 batteries, every day. Finally getting the orientation down pat. Strange how that's so freakin hard at first, then one day, it just seems normal.:)

G

...guest...

LOL!!!! You are definitely getting it then. I went through 3 props just living room hovering for pid tuning!!! You think oh $3 for 2!! No problem ... LOL. Not so much after you've gone through a half dozen in one flight. I have a huge bag of Gemfans and HQ 5" props. And, yes, the nylon lock nuts are VERY helpful. I picked up some M4 and M5 nuts from Home Depot. But I'm still sticking to the bullet cones cos I'm just lame about how it looks I guess and even went out and bought some replacement bullet cones.

Wait are you flying LOS??? No way I can even figure out orientation on these tiny minis. But then again there are times I thought I was coming to a soft landing in FPV only to realize I just dropped my mini from 20 feet free fall into the ground! But if you're flying every day going through a handful of batteries (I tend to crash too badly before I can even get through my 3rd lipo HA!), you'll be flying like those Blackout guys in no time.

[edit] By the way, what FC are you using? I've been pretty exclusive to CC3D but at some point will break my Naze32 virginity.

cootertwo

I'm using Naza Lite in just about everything. Sooo easy to setup. And I put the GPS on both mini quads. Tried one without, but with the GPS, if I get disorientated, just letting the sticks go, will usually result in a stationary hover, till I figure things out. I just fly around my one acre, with about 50 trees, bushes, and all kinds of obstacles. Only problem is that the GPS puck will catch tree limbs and bushes. I have a new KK2 board that I'm going to setup in another 250 quad, just to play with. I think the KK2, with the ability to program, without hooking to a computer every time, is an easy way to learn PID's, and the mini's will take a beating, when things aren't right! props, props, and more props!

G

...guest...

Naza Lite?? Really?? I and a few others have tried getting the Naza Lite to play nice with these smaller paltforms and all of us shared the same less than satisfactory results. My own experience was that it had a very stubborn drift and hardly worth the payload to fly. My focus was more on the FC's position relative to CG and positioning in the assistant. Another guy focused on the gains and found he could get stable flight but only if he changed his gains based on the winds that day. We both ended up ditching it for either the CC3D (me) or acro Naze32 (friend). I suspect the Naza FC's were really meant for more the 400mm and up sized platforms.

You're probably doing it right with the KK2. I went from Naza to CC3D (ok ... Naze32 but got too frustrated lol). It's been ... interesting. I like how someone else put it, "Now you're learning to fly rather than just drive." Replace "fly" with "crash" and I think that's more accurate LOL.

cootertwo

Attachments

• QAV250A.jpg
    QAV250A.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 400
  • QAV250B.jpg
    QAV250B.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 349

G

...guest...

That was awesome!! You've got a cool obstacle course right at home lol. Oh and don't worry generally speaking I don't think there'll be a Multirotor Mens Calendar anytime soon lol.

So that was with the Naza Lite huh? Mind if I ask what your gain settings are? Did you input an offset for the GPS?

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
You do know these will be great props and we will be hooked...... :black_eyed:

And mine have been sent, I love free stuff, anyone got some free motors?

And I promised some photos, will post some soon.

Pete

GotHeliRC

http://gothelirc.com
Look at that mess.... (just kidding) your installation is nice and clean. But don't you wish there's a 4in1 esc for 12amps? We should have it soon. :)

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
I have changed it a little, the power lead exits uinderneath at the back now, also going to do a new harness for the camera-vTx link, will be much better, and going to reroute the shortened signal leads so it comes up through the middle of the frame.

All in one 4x ESC might be nice until you blow a single ESC, not sure to be honest, particularly on these little frames where the ESC's are mounted in between the layers.

What sort of pricing for the 4 way ESC do you think?

Pete

cootertwo

I'm going to try to come up with some kind of FPV assembly, that I could easily move from one quad, to another. Like I've seen done for the planes. Anybody else done this for the mini's? Kinda silly, having multiple TX's, cameras, antennas, etc. etc. Good for the suppliers, bad for the wallet. I've lost track, but I think right now, I have at least 4 or 5 cameras ordered. Different types. The only one I'm sorta happy with, is the standard Fat Shark 600TVL 5 volt. And I've had pretty good results with the Immersion TX's. Was hooked on my Skyzone goggles, but recently went back to my Fat Shark Attitudes. Can't seem to make up my mind. Fickle I guess. On a side note, I successfully re-glued a couple of loose magnets on one of my T-motors yesterday. First time for me. Used some thin CA, and then hit it with accelerator. So far, so good. And the learning process continues.:)

Last edited by a moderator: