Any updates on Naza GPS????

hjls3

So I am itching to get my hands on Naza GPS upgrade. Anyone know if DJI has shipped those to vendors yet or not? It seems that some shops in Europe have them already, I was waiting for US vendor. Anyone, anyone? Thanks and happy flying - John

Last edited by a moderator:

ToniCH

Noob
Yes, I believe many US vendors have received them and many have shipped the 1st batch out. In other forums I saw that some even had some unsold extras this morning (like 10 hours ago).

As an European I am still waiting for mine and my vendor hasn't received his 1st batch. Haven't really heard any EU vendors have yet - or have they (?).

chipwich

I happened to stop by Atlanta Hobby on Friday at lunchtime. While picking up some other parts, I asked about the NAZA GPS shipment. The sales person told me that they were unpacking them then, but couldn't give me mine to take, because they wanted to make sure that they went out to in a first come-first serve basis. Low and behold, mine was in the my mailbox Saturday. Great job Cliff and company. We had rain on Sunday and I was troubleshooting a gimbal issue so didn't get to the install, but should have mine ready to go this weekend, if not sooner.

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Mine was delivered yesterday and immediately installed on my F330 FPV quad. The problem I'm having is the GPS doesn't like the video TX, won't get satellite lock with the VTX powered up but gets full lock in less than a minute with it powered off. Problem is the F330 is too small to be able to get the necessary separation between the GPS and VTX for the GPS to be able to acquire satellites. I've been moving things around and now have it arranged so it works but the GPS still isn't 100% with the FPV gear on, it holds position within a 5 to 10 foot circle not as tight as it should be.

I have another one coming for my F450 FPV quad along with some other parts, I was going to wait until I had everything but I think I'll swap the GPS from the 330 to the 450 to see if I can get it work with the video TX on the bigger frame.

I can say the GPS itself works well and gets full satellite lock much faster than the WKM GPS as long as there isn't any RFI to interfere with it. I flew the 330 with the FPV gear powered down and it held position great in gusty wind, not bad at all for a little lightweight frame.

Ken

hjls3

thanks guys some good info. Ken where did you order yours from? It never crossed my mind about the video TX and GPS lock. Makes total sense though. I will be putting it on a 550, so hopefully I will find a good home for it. Certainly am excited to give it a go. New to the multi rotors so this will be my first GPS experience with multi rotors. Thanks again guys...happy flying.

Ken,
you flew a little 330 today??? i'm down in Plymouth and when i called PYM ASOS, it was gusting to 20.

nice to know it holds well, your wind was a bit less, or you're that good od a pilot.

cheers,
Brian

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
thanks guys some good info. Ken where did you order yours from? It never crossed my mind about the video TX and GPS lock. Makes total sense though. I will be putting it on a 550, so hopefully I will find a good home for it. Certainly am excited to give it a go. New to the multi rotors so this will be my first GPS experience with multi rotors. Thanks again guys...happy flying.

I preordered mine from UAVproducts.com, I expect that by the end of the month you will likely be able to get one from just about any DJI reseller once the initial rush to get one is over.

Ken,
you flew a little 330 today??? i'm down in Plymouth and when i called PYM ASOS, it was gusting to 20.

nice to know it holds well, your wind was a bit less, or you're that good od a pilot.

cheers,
Brian

Yes I was flying the little F330 in the wind, it was getting batted around a bit. I've got a few years of RC Heli and Multirotor stick time under my belt so a little wind doesn't bother me. As long as the sustained wind speed is 20 mph or less I'll fly, if the gusts are hitting 25 or more I usually stay on the ground or only fly my little aerobatic quads that can react quick enough to stay in the air. Living here near the coast it's either learn to fly in the wind or you won't be doing much flying at all waiting for a calm day!

Ken

Gunter

Draganflyer X4
Mine was delivered yesterday and immediately installed on my F330 FPV quad. The problem I'm having is the GPS doesn't like the video TX, won't get satellite lock with the VTX powered up but gets full lock in less than a minute with it powered off. Problem is the F330 is too small to be able to get the necessary separation between the GPS and VTX for the GPS to be able to acquire satellites. I've been moving things around and now have it arranged so it works but the GPS still isn't 100% with the FPV gear on, it holds position within a 5 to 10 foot circle not as tight as it should be.

I have another one coming for my F450 FPV quad along with some other parts, I was going to wait until I had everything but I think I'll swap the GPS from the 330 to the 450 to see if I can get it work with the video TX on the bigger frame.

I can say the GPS itself works well and gets full satellite lock much faster than the WKM GPS as long as there isn't any RFI to interfere with it. I flew the 330 with the FPV gear powered down and it held position great in gusty wind, not bad at all for a little lightweight frame.

Ken

Ken, how about trying a flat plate between the 2 front arms, put the gps straight on top of the plate so that it's under the props. Just a thought!

Regards, Gunter
via the Samsung

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
It's a crowded little frame but it flys very nicely...

DSC00068a.jpg

The VTX hides under here, I've tried all the variations of mountings and positioning of components that I could possibly fit given the size of the frame and this is the only one that works with the GPS. A bigger frame should be no problem, just can't get enough separation on the little F330...

DSC00067a.jpg

Ken

Billzilla

Finished fitting the GPS unit today, hopefully I'll have a good flight tomorrow.
I still have to do the compass calibration spinny thing first.

hexacopter1.jpg

hjls3

Finished fitting the GPS unit today, hopefully I'll have a good flight tomorrow.
I still have to do the compass calibration spinny thing first.

that looks like an great solution. i will be interested in what kind of results you get with the gps under the rotors. had never really thought of trying that, till i read about it here and now seeing it, it has me stoked to give it a go. let us know how your flight goes - happy flying

Billzilla

that looks like an great solution. i will be interested in what kind of results you get with the gps under the rotors. had never really thought of trying that, till i read about it here and now seeing it, it has me stoked to give it a go. let us know how your flight goes - happy flying

Thanks - It's held in place with a couple of small carbon tubes, it's surprisingly stiff and I also balance the props so I don't think vibration will be a problem.
The props are Graupner & so are plastic, so I don't think will affect the GPS signal at all - When I was setting it up inside the house the red light on the VU stopped blinking so it seems to have a good GPS signal.

Last edited by a moderator:

srbell

Hey, I was trying to buy a Naza with GPS from DJI-USA but no luck. All I see it the Naza itself. Robert out there?

Just got my gps in the mail today. Got it installed and firmware upgraded, switches set and test flight as of 10 minutes ago in 30+ mph wind gusts. This thing is rock stable!!! Very minimal drift. I'm completely impressed and will definitely be buying another naza/gps setup for my next build. It is currently on a 900mm quad in + format and is perfect.

hjls3

Just got my gps in the mail today. Got it installed and firmware upgraded, switches set and test flight as of 10 minutes ago in 30+ mph wind gusts. This thing is rock stable!!! Very minimal drift. I'm completely impressed and will definitely be buying another naza/gps setup for my next build. It is currently on a 900mm quad in + format and is perfect.

that is awesome. seems the reviews go both ways. appears those having trouble seem to have missed something in the setup. I take it you thought the setup was pretty easy? i have had really great service from a vendor, that has not got them in yet. I am going to be loyal and wait for him to get them. its been great though seeing all the different setups before i attempt to mount mine, that said, hard being patient. especially when i read reviews like yours. thanks for the info.

that is awesome. seems the reviews go both ways. appears those having trouble seem to have missed something in the setup. I take it you thought the setup was pretty easy? i have had really great service from a vendor, that has not got them in yet. I am going to be loyal and wait for him to get them. its been great though seeing all the different setups before i attempt to mount mine, that said, hard being patient. especially when i read reviews like yours. thanks for the info.

Setup was pretty straight forward. Updated the Assistant then updated firmware, set up my three way switch and all my available options, took it outside and played for 10 minutes or so in 30mph winds. Very stable and I love the new features of the course lock and whatever the other is called... lol! We ordered the gps the day it was released and just got it today. I'll definitely buy another naza setup with gps. Very, very pleased. Now if only I could get my XA gps unit in, I'd be happy. :)

Billzilla

Did a successful first flight with the GPS on, seemed it work okay I think.
It did wander around a little but nowhere near as much as without the GPS on.
And of course, I forgot to turn the camera on.