Another "Pete's diy Y6" build thread! 800mm motor-motor

Efliernz

Pete
My diy small balsa/fibreglass Y6 was good but I wanted something bigger that would handle the wind.

I needed to carry a brushless gimbal/Gopro2 or my Panny LX3 for stills.
It needed to fold for travelling.
Run on 4S5000 packs as that is what I use on my Droidworx VM6
I should be more visible / greater presence than the DW hexa. Orientation is difficult with the flat hexa - even with lights.

It will use the same motors as the DW - Sunnysky 2814/11 700Kv with 12x6 APC narrow-blade clones.

20 minutes on the PC using Visio, I had a plan! 20 minutes more and I had 3mm plywood cut with countersunk washers for bolt "hard-points"
large.jpg

2 layers of fibreglass top and bottom at 45-deg bias...
154712083.jpg

Press the fg and resin between two sheets of hardened glass (unused bathroom shelves)
154712084.jpg

Add some weight... just a little ;)
154712085.jpg

Trim the excess glass... looking good!
The arms are 24mm square pine. I routered slots each side for the wiring to be (almost) hidden, before throwing them in a lathe... because round looks better than square
154712086.jpg

Epoxy-glue the rest of the motor mount and clamp.
154712088.jpg

Shape the mounts and drill out for silicon fuel tubing (for anti-vibration) that the motor bolts will go through
154712090.jpg

Motors... and through-bolts
154712091.jpg

I spent 90 minutes fabricating the u/c from 12.7mm (1/2") thin wall aluminium. While it weighs around 200g, it provides strength and stability even if you are moving forward at touch down... where as the DW one would pop carbon tube inserts. I often fly off uneven / long grass areas so it is perfect
154712148.jpg

I bought the Quarternium brushless gimbal for my Gopro. I had tried several different ways to mount it - all were rubbish until this one. It uses 200g-spec'd anti-vibe spacers from Hobbyking and more 3mm plywood. It simply works...
154712096.jpg

154712092.jpg

I am using a 12 month old Multiwii Paris v4r6 controller and it flies like a dream! ESC's are 30A "Afro"s and being hi-frequency esc's, it is much quieter than my DW VM6.

Here is a run-down video of the making as well as the first proper flight test.

Pete

Last edited by a moderator:

Efliernz

Pete
Airframe only 2580g
Airframe and gimbal + Gopro + SD card 2980g
Flying with 1 x 4S5000 pack 3550g.

No lights yet but the orientation is so much easier than the flat hexa (DW VM-6) that I don't know if I'll bother. Especially since since CAA grounded a local for flying a Phantom at night last week (although he was flying around the down-town city past the police station)

7-7:30 minutes of normal cruising around with one battery. 12 minutes with two in parallel. It still feels good with two packs.

32A hover, 46A very fast forward or a spirited climb in "hooligan pilot" mode ;)

140 minutes total flight time so far without a glitch. It is so nice to fly and I haven't flown it in calm conditions yet... as nicely as my Hoverfly... and I don't say that lightly! The yaw doesn't lock in as well as the HoverflyPro board but I'm now testing "heading hold" mode with the built-in magnetometer that the Multiwii Paris has. Initial tests are good - but still not as good as the HFP. More playing with gains required...

Ryan - are you home gain? How's my board?

Pete

y6

Airframe only 2580g
Airframe and gimbal + Gopro + SD card 2980g
Flying with 1 x 4S5000 pack 3550g.

No lights yet but the orientation is so much easier than the flat hexa (DW VM-6) that I don't know if I'll bother. Especially since since CAA grounded a local for flying a Phantom at night last week (although he was flying around the down-town city past the police station)

7-7:30 minutes of normal cruising around with one battery. 12 minutes with two in parallel. It still feels good with two packs.

32A hover, 46A very fast forward or a spirited climb in "hooligan pilot" mode ;)

140 minutes total flight time so far without a glitch. It is so nice to fly and I haven't flown it in calm conditions yet... as nicely as my Hoverfly... and I don't say that lightly! The yaw doesn't lock in as well as the HoverflyPro board but I'm now testing "heading hold" mode with the built-in magnetometer that the Multiwii Paris has. Initial tests are good - but still not as good as the HFP. More playing with gains required...

Ryan - are you home gain? How's my board?

Pete

Hi nice build what s te angle of front arms

Last edited by a moderator:

Efliernz

Pete
Hi nice build what s te angle of front arms

To keep the camera FOV free, 140 deg between the front arms, 110 deg between the front and rear. Calculate the c-o-g to be half way between the front and rear motors. Remember, the copter doesn't care where anything is except the motors and the balance point!

SleepyC - Thanks man.
I love building from scratch. At 45yo, I'm an old-school modeler! It's not like I can't afford carbon - but's it fun showing that you don't need to spend the big $$$ to make a larger model capable of working.

Pete