Another newbie... coming in from the cold,

Jonnyess

Hi all. By way of a quick intro, I fly a DJI Phantom 2 Vision Plus. I am an architectural photographer and can see that adding an aerial aspect to my armoury of tools would be more than useful. I'm currently making my way through the EuroUSC route towards CAA permission for aerial work (flight assessment in 2 weeks - gulp). Finding the flying quite straight forward if one is careful and observant, but finding the prospect of the flight assessment extremely daunting. Only one major crash so far, when coming in to land about 50m away from take off position. About 2 feet off the ground the drone (do we call them drones or is that frowned on?) recognised the low state of the battery and went into failsafe mode. It shot up to 20m, and flew fast and hard straight into the top of a tree which was between my new position and where we had started. I leaned a LOT that morning about monitoring the battery state indicator, and the position of hazards in relation to current position and take off position.
Looking forward to making use of this excellent forum.

FLJim

Hi Jonnyess and welcome to the forums! Considering the site owner has a talk show called Drone Radio Live...it's probably OK for you to call it a drone. It seems that folks here go back and forth on that one.

Sounds like you have put a lot of time and effort into your hobby/passion! Good luck with your flight assessment.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
wait wait wait, i don't call it a drone, i call it a "drone"! lol, i covered that in episode #1!

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com @Jonnyess ! Make yourself at home and jump right in whenever you're ready.

Bart