another first build.

darrylC

Hi everyone. Thanks in advance for all the help.
So ive been doing research for the last month or so and am starting to make a plan. The only things I knownfornsure at this point is I'm going to be using a f450 frame and I want GPS so I can have some kind of fail Safe/RTH.

Power and ESCs...I realize the 450 frame has a built in PDB but I'd rather not have everything "fixed in place" but have the ability to remove, replace, repair upgrade etc. What are your opinions of q-brains vs separate ESCs and power breakout cables? I'm planning on using 25amp to allow for future motor upgrades.

Flight control...originally I was thinking Naza-m lite w GPS but then noticed the multiwii pro seems to have all the function of the Naza-m v 1/2 at a fraction of the price. Are the functions like RTH, position hold etc inherent or part of an add on autopilot? Does it have the smart flight mode for idiot newbies like me? The price both attracts me and make me wonder if it is junk or very hard to configure...thoughts?

TX...I definitely don't have the budget for a high end futuba or spectrum but I want to be able to use the different flight modes. What are your opinions on the OrangerRx or the hobbyking ?

Motors....it seems I will be needing 1000-1500kV. I gather from reading here that short shafts are good and Collette style prop adapters are bad. Is there a?lot of difference in power between motors of same size but different makers...sunnysky, tiger hobbyking etc? Also not sure how to tell which is which with shaft length and prop style when looking AR sites like hobbyking?

jbrumberg

darrylc- As to Tx, the FlySky TH9XB is the Tx with the rear compartment that one can insert the correct Tx module and have a functional Tx without having to re-wire/unwire anything. One can do this with only the "B" model. Then one only has to also choose the correct additional Tx module (with antenna) to support another non FlySky (9X) Tx protocol such as the DSM series.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Hey Daryl, welcome to the forum and this fast growing hobby. There are some great folks here who will be able to help you more than I can - but also being new to this, maybe my experience can help out a bit...

As far as PDB goes, I just had one fail and cause expensive damage - so if you are going to choose something other than the built in one, make sure you choose quality. Also, check the specs to ensure it can handle the power rating you end up running. I finally decided to solder my own "squid" instead of worrying about the quality of a pre-made one. At least I know I did my own QC.

I don't know anything about the all-in-one ESCs, I'm sure someone will chime in. Also, 30A may be safer if you are potentially going to swap battery (3S to 4S) and motors.

The FC is a big question - and like motor oil, everyone has a different opinion about what's best. You really just need to do your research on this. I personally went for a multiwii FC for the exact reasons you mention (increased functionality for the money), but knew I'd be taking on more research, tweaking and fiddling. I was ok with this - and actually enjoy it. I chose one sold by a guy named Witespy who sells under the company Ready to Fly Quads. He personally pre-programs them based on the options you choose at purchase time (GPS, Bluetooth connectivity etc). He can be a bit flaky with communication (based on posts on forums), but I've had great luck with him and the prices can't be beat (FC, GPS, Bluetooth, LED for mode recognition plus wires and hardware etc for about $130).

I think for the lower cost Tx with a ton of functionality people point toward the Taranis. I have Futaba so I'm not sure. But they seem to offer a lot for the money. Make sure you get as many channels as possible - you'll use them!

motors have a bunch of various values, other than the Kv. Poles, body size, and watt rating can effect how it works on a build. This is where eCalc comes in. Get some basic ideas of what you need based on other builds, and then you can plug the numbers into eCalc and swap components to see their relationship and get a ballpark for what might work.

The only other thing id suggest is to go cheap but decent at first. There is a high probability you'll crash at some point (or like me, at MANY points!!!). Easier to swallow the loss if it didn't cost as much. I was able to buy a couple extra Turnigy motors and ESCs for the cost of 1 T-Moter. I'd love to have them someday, but I'm damn glad I didn't crash the other day with $200 in motors strapped to my quad.

Good luck, and enjoy!
/scott

jbrumberg

Cheap, but decent, There is a Tx "food fight" starting up right now at RCG about Taranis vs Futaba by two seemingly smart guys "married" to something. Its both :highly_amused: and informative.

FCB: For pure basics and somewhat "ease in basic set up", but not necessarily so for fine tuning ; a KK2 board 1.6 version is the way to go for getting airborne relatively quickly. It's a basic board- self leveling. A few variations on that theme, but that's it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I think if I had it to do over again if probably go with the taranis. With all the research I was doing, for some reason those never made it onto my radar.

jbrumberg

Scott- They were not around for you to have been seen on any radar scope at the time. R&D and S&M were wet dreams by those involved for the most part. FlySky is/was close. I have been watching this for a ~ 1 year. That's how crazy fast technology is pushing consumer "choice". We really have no choice.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Aha. I don't feel so bad then. BTW, Flite Test just reviews the Witespy gear. They said it was "the best quad I've ever flown." Multiwii right out of the boa - no tuning.

You can check out the review HERE

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Paul makes sure that the original source code is on the board and correct for proper flight and the options you choose. Realize that it's open source, so anyone can tweak the basic firmware. Paul has developed his own "style" for the code. He also has the version you need, and all docs on a Dropbox site as backup.

The Multiwii GUI Is the easy part. It's just click and load right from the interface on the computer screen.

There is still some research to do - but his specific board (EZ3.0) has an RCGROUPS thread that is 200 pages long. You will definitely NOT be the first person to have the problem of something comes up. Quick responses/searches get you through the issue.

You should watch this. http://flitetest.com/articles/rtf-quads-review

also, if you decide on the multiwii, make sure you grab the USBasp to connect to the computer.

darrylC

View attachment 16135 Hi guys this is the set up im planning on. batteries, motors and props as shown in ecalc screen shot, HK f450 frame, all in one ESC/PDB, AMP 2.6 + GPS board + sonar ( not sure yet about what I need to get telemetry on the transmitter), Arducopter flight control. also not sure yet how to wire the two batteries together, I'm guessing parallel?
Turnigy PXR TX with OrangeRX DSMX/DSM2 2.4Ghz Transmitter Module (JR/Turnigy compatible). I couldn't figure out how to get down to a smaller cheaper prop and get the flight times ecalc is giving me. I plan on getting a bunch of bullet connectors as I want to make this somewhat modular. any thought and advice would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Untitled-3.jpg
    Untitled-3.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 254

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
That's some great flight time. I'm surprised on a 2S battery. Nice work.

The he only issue I see if that it will take over 50% for throttle. Maybe see if a 3S battery helps out???