Another bad motor??? What am I doing wrong?

Bobkeenan

Beginner... 2nd flight, this time in a park. Was able to hover and move around10-20 yards for about a minute or so. But then it took a nose dive with a ground flip from about 4 ft. It bent one of the props but I was able to bend it back pretty close to orginal. Went to take off.... and..... One of the motors was doing the oscillating plus and minus 90 degrees. And another prop was loose. I am using lock nuts and the nut seemed on fine but I must not have tightened it enough?

So why would another motor go bad. I had one do the same thing a week ago on my first flight and I replaced it. The thought then was that I was using 8mm screws to mount the motor and maybe they were too long? So I replaced all the mount scews with 6mm and a washer.

Maybe I damaged the motor before and its just not showing a problem till now?

The loose prop is the right foward and the bad motor is the left rear. Could that motor oversped to compensate for the loose prop?

Also when I checked the motors during the set-up I notice they all do not sound the same. Some have a bit of a rough sound at low rpm till much higher rpm. Others sound nice even at the low rpm?

I also know that I plugged in one of the esc to flight controller wrong, during the open pilot setup, and one of the esc's got really hot to the touch before I noticed it. That was the motor that I replaced after the first flight and it seems to be fine for this second flight.

One other thought is that I plug all of the exc plugs into the fight controller as is. I have read that I should remove all the red and black wires from those lines so that only the larger red and black lines are connected to the power board and only the yellow wires go to the flight controller. Could that be a problem? Also note that last time I did isolate the problem to the motor. The esc worked with another motor. I will try that also with this flight's motor issue.

Any thoughts? Thanks....

Pumpkinguy

Man. This sucks. If you pressed screws into the coil you could have caused all kinds of damage. I would take the motors apart and inspect. There is little.you can do for them if they are damaged.