AMAZING Aerial Freeride Mountain Biking Video from BirdsEyeVideos.com

Hey Gang. Just posted up a great new video showcasing some aggressive aerial filming with downhill freeride bikers doing some really cool riding in beautiful terrain. Check it out!

For those outside the US where the YT video is blocked, I posted a Vimeo version here:

Cheers!

TJ Sheridan

Last edited by a moderator:

SamaraMedia

That was pretty sweet. What's you copter of choice? Did you have more than one bird aloft at once or was it just having the bikers repeat the routes cause there are multiple angles from the same shot. Nicely done. Look forward to seeing more.

John

That was pretty sweet. What's you copter of choice? Did you have more than one bird aloft at once or was it just having the bikers repeat the routes cause there are multiple angles from the same shot. Nicely done. Look forward to seeing more.

John

John,

I'm currently flying a custom Y6 platform that I constructed from parts of two quads. I have two of them, one primary and one backup.

Since I generally do all the flying and filming, I have the bikers repeat each run 3 or 4 times, shooting it from various angles, and if I want to do a forward/reverse sequence I'll just fly it once forward, and once flying backwards. It'd be cool to have a separate gimbal on the back and two cameras running so I could do it in one take, but that's not as important as framing one shot well and having a light rig that gets long flight times.

Lots more good stuff to come, including a fantastic new video next week, so be sure to subscribe to my YouTube channel for notifications.

TJ

About 8 minutes is all. Building a larger multirotor now hoping to up the flight times to 15 minutes. Fingers crossed that it works! You?

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I have to say that was really great footage. I am impressed you were able to get the framing as well as you did flying by yourself. Is most of that FPV? Nice work! Beautiful location as well.

SamaraMedia

I have to say that was really great footage. I am impressed you were able to get the framing as well as you did flying by yourself. Is most of that FPV? Nice work! Beautiful location as well.
Agreed! The shot where you panned around a stone outcrop (3:00 minute mark), almost a 360 sweep and the guy takes off down the trail, Loved it! That must have been full day of biking and shooting, how many batteries did you burn through?

John

John,

I had six flight packs, so I could do six flights before returning to the car to charge. But most trails only took the bikers a minute or less to blast down, so I could get multiple takes per pack.

subpar,

I shoot 30fps in wide at 2.7k ProTune, then crop manually while editing, so I can control the shot framing a bit in post. 75% of the framing is in flight, the 25% I do in post is the fine tuning that smooths it out. By animating the crop, you can really tighten up the framing nicely.

I look forward to the hero 4 with 4k res at 30fps and hopefully 2.7k 60fps. It's gonna be sweet.

tstrike

pendejo grande
I saw this on the other forum, truly spectacular flying! I gotta get out to one of the fun flys and meet you guys, I'm losing motivation flying by myself.
Was this down at the swell and where were you positioned on the hill?

tstrike,

Yeah, flying solo requires a lot of determination. I used to have a big flying group, dozens of guys that would meet weekly. Now I fly alone 99% of the time because nobody else flies FPV. Those that do have the gear and know-how don't have the drive to get out and do it, at least not in a group. Guys in Utah mostly just do it close to home rather than road-tripping like I enjoy doing. Still, sometimes I can't get out the door due to lack of motivation. I've been feeling like that all holiday, not a single flight and the weather has been supremely gorgeous. Mainly it's because the family is home on holiday and I'd miss time with them if I went anywhere, but that's only a partial excuse. I could go flying any morning for an hour before the family's even up and do sunrise shots. That's the best time anyway. Maybe it's the cold. Dunno. Right now I'm just using the lack of motivation as an excuse to edit and post some videos. :nevreness:

Next film is in the can. Just waiting for CDBaby to get the original song approved so I can sell it when the video goes live, which'll be any day now.

Can you share what radio you are using and how are you controlling tilt? My futaba only has a ratcheted side slider, so I am looking for options. I am currently building a DIY head tracker to mount to my radio but still waiting in some parts. I'm not sure how well it will work, but worth a shot. I fly by monitor, not goggles.

tahoelight, I'm using the Aurora9. The tilt function is on my left slighter, and the Naza rates function is on the right slider. So if I'm in tight on something and want the controls to be soft, I slight my right slider down. That changes the rates so the control stick needs more input to move the multirotor. If I'm chasing somebody, I move right slider up, which cranks up my rates, and makes the stick more sensitive so I can mash it forward and move quickly. The tilt is set with a fairly slow rate in the gimbal controller, as welel as a "servo slow" algorithm in the radio, so if I bump my left slider the camera doesn't tilt quickly. Tilt needs to be on a slider or variable knob in order to choose any tilt angle.

jfro

Aerial Fun
Very impressive, esp as a single flyer. Assume your using goggles as opposed to a monitor.
Also, nice editing!

I'm building a new x8 and when done, I'm going to take apart my current x8 and build a medium to smaller unit and maybe make it into a FVP for similar type flying to what you have showcased. Would be interested in you motors and auw on your current y6's and also what you are building. Never had a y6 and thinking of trying to build one.