Am I dumb for wanting a Cinestar 6?

DennyR

Some interesting points there Yuri But one thing to consider is that when you go bigger you have to put the camera very low on the frame because if the sunlight passes through the prop. arc onto the front element then you will see some flicker just when you don't want it. A major problem with Single Rotor...

RC Flying

A Drone Mind
I won't bother adding or detracting from what everyone's already said. I will say though that going bigger adds a lot more personal stress. Obviously it costs more to build bigger; bigger motors, bigger ESCs, bigger cameras, bigger gimbals but it's also a lot more stressful to fly. Not more difficult per se, just more stressful. There's the fear of breaking stuff that cost you a lot when you crash obviously, but there also the added responsibility of flying a much heavier, bulkier machine around. It's just nowhere near as relaxed as flying a much smaller quadcopter. I'm kind of forced into flying bigger stuff because people I work with keep demanding it, but I do see a future where smaller is better, a not too distant future at that.

Anyway, that's all a bit philosophical. I would say just get the Cinestar if you can afford it and you feel that's what you want. It's not a stupid investment. If you build it yourself and decide you don't like it, you could probably get your money back by selling it ready to fly if you change your mind afterwards.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Denny, does prop flicker still occur even with a y6 or xy8? I doubt it since I never see props.

To throw it out there I have a y6 and folding quad ARF if you are interested. I'll make you a deal you can't possibly come close to and it's all tried and true with very low hours.

DennyR

That flicker is not always predictable it would seem. when the angle is right it can be seen but it is also linked to the dust/moisture on the lens and in the atmosphere. At night you can see the red glare from the front nav. lights on a Phantom even though the actual lights are well out of view.