Aluminium tube thickness.

Jake Bullit

Fly,crash,glue,repeat!
I've just bought some half inch square thing for a new build. The wall thickness is 1.6mm(16 swg )
It feels a little heavy, what thickness do you guys use?

Ovdt, Putting together cinestar 6 DJI and wondered which of the motors you like on your riggs for it. Low Kv Tigers sound interesting.
Stan

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
I've just bought some half inch square thing for a new build. The wall thickness is 1.6mm(16 swg )
It feels a little heavy, what thickness do you guys use?

I used pretty much the same thing on my Y6 build and it worked out well, even when I had it reconfigured as a standard hex with 6 - 1 foot long pieces of it. It was a bit on the heavy side but it flew well in either configuration plus the thick walls resist bending fairly well too. I use the same tubing on one of my aerobatic quads and it's been stuffed into the dirt a few times without needing an arm replaced.

Ken

Jake Bullit

Fly,crash,glue,repeat!
Thanks all.I`ll go with what I`ve got and see how it flies.Cant seem to find less than 1.6 mm wall for 1/2inch tube in UK.

Gunter

Draganflyer X4
I've also looked at my usual suppliers and they also only have 1.6mm. Odd!

Regards,

Gunter.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jes1111

The UK is so screwed up with this "semi-metrication" - 1/2" tubing with 1.6mm wall thickness? They put gasoline in their cars in litres then measure consumption in miles per gallon.

Interesting aluminium profile supplier - http://www.alfer-shop.de/epages/62032238.sf/en_GB/?ViewObjectID=139945 - the tubing wall thickness is 1mm, but the outside dimensions are odd numbers so that each size fits neatly inside the next size up. They also have useful accessory pieces for square and round tubing.

A French company called CQFD makes "proper metric" profiles, including tubing, and sells through the big DIY "sheds" - http://www.cqfd-international.com/v2/english/cqfd-where-to-buy.htm - especially interesting is their range of accessories, such as this and this.

Last edited by a moderator: