Alternatives to metal screws and nuts.

trec-r

Few days ago I was shopping for some specific screws and nuts and was amazed at the wide selection of fasteners available on the internet. Has anyone tried non standard fasteners with good results? Has anyone tried using the nylon screws and nuts? Might reduce weight and vibrations, however is it strong enough? Another idea is to use wood dowels and CA, which I'm sure that's been tried. Last idea I had was to use parachute cord and weave things together.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Nylon fasteners have been used extensively with very good results. Mikrokopter used them for frame assembly and they held up perfectly well. Another manufacturer used them to mount their flight control board and the vibrations would cause the board to saw through the nylon leaving the board floating and the heli violently out of control (about 20 seconds into the first flight)!!

They are great for a lot of uses (like fastening a power dist. board to a carbon fiber frame member since the carbon is conductive) but not all uses!

Bart

janoots2

Aluminum is super light and definitely saves weight over stainless. agl hobbies sells them standard now on his rigs. You can just buy the hardware and nuts too.