Align Multicopter Align G3-GH Gimbal - Is ANYONE Happy??

I'm in the market for a gimbal to fly my GH4 on my Tarot T960 for my business. I've been researching the heck out of the Align G3-GH gimbal for several weeks, and I have found very very few positive remarks concerning it's performance. But then, those comments have come from forums concerning the Align Multicopters in general, so not a dedicated forum. Also, I fully realize that these forums are prone to attracting folks, like me, who are having issues with their equipment as opposed to those that love the gear they are using. That's fine. I get that. This is a place for us to come and get advice so that we can make our stuff work better with the help of others. The issue here is that there does not seem to be any "fixes" being proposed for the plethora of problems this gimbal seems to be having.

So, this is my last ditch effort to TRY and gather some positive feedback on this gimbal. I'd like to hopefully give some of this gimbal's supporters a chance to weigh in on how awesome this gimbal has performed for them.

Is there ANYONE out there that uses this gimbal and has been happy with it's performance? And if so, some vids would be nice. Not required, but nice to see.

Thanks!

You are wasting your own time IMHO get a Zen.
I have both Zen & G3-GH, chalk & cheese.
I wasted months trying to tune the G3-GH, it's a flawed design.

Raydee

For you guys using a different Gimbal over the G2 and G3 what do you have to do to wire it up? Is it as simple as supplying power to the gimbal and using a Y splitter off the S-Bus receiver?

uavblue

Actually, Jeff, I did. All mounted up, will be connecting the electrical, tuning, and testing in the next few days.

This is alate reply but I have found this to be a quite good Gimbal. Steady enough on a M480L to actually use a zoom lens with a Sony Alpha camera. Its unfortunate that the tuning does not offer the realtime data display of the Alexmos but it outperforms Alexmos hands down. It also always knows where center (front) is. I am still refining this but here are my videos. A a couple of little bumps but pretty good. It has to be so good to zoom at distance. How did your turn out? Videos URL
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCewUqvA9k39AsTqBBjb1uAQ

Trying out on a 690 next.
Steve
UAV Blue

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
This is alate reply but I have found this to be a quite good Gimbal. Steady enough on a M480L to actually use a zoom lens with a Sony Alpha camera. Its unfortunate that the tuning does not offer the realtime data display of the Alexmos but it outperforms Alexmos hands down. It also always knows where center (front) is. I am still refining this but here are my videos. A a couple of little bumps but pretty good. It has to be so good to zoom at distance. How did your turn out? Videos URL
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCewUqvA9k39AsTqBBjb1uAQ

Trying out on a 690 next.
Steve
UAV Blue

Please add to your signature line that you are a dealer for Align products, including the M480L. Thank you.

uavblue

Please add to your signature line that you are a dealer for Align products, including the M480L. Thank you.

OK No Problem. It does not influence what I say. I would never talk things up to sell them. I am just very impressed with the engineering in this model especially for the money. If I was not impressed, I would not sell them... FYI

Regards
Steve Gill
UAV Blue - Dealer for Align, FPV Factory, and TurboAce

Align was the hope that someone might be able to match the DJI dominance. They were not any better at resolving issues than the rest and the fact remains that delivering what they claim they have is a far cry from reality. One can get it to work, as I did, but stupid problems with simple stuff like cables caused failures in the air. What you end up with is a system that is heavy, dangerous and not up to date with the technology that is available elsewhere.
Like it or not, the Inspire 1 Pro is so far ahead of all competition in every aspect of automated flight control and imaging quality, there is nothing left to discuss.

Not everyone wants true cinematic performance but when you compare what is the industry standard in low light video cameras you have to say that the Sony 7s is probably the best you can buy. I would have to say that this video comparison shows that with the use of D-Log and FPC grading, the DJI X-5 is right there with it at the top.
Sony A7s Vs Inspire 1 Pro X5 Low light - YouTube

uavblue

Align was the hope that someone might be able to match the DJI dominance. They were not any better at resolving issues than the rest and the fact remains that delivering what they claim they have is a far cry from reality. One can get it to work, as I did, but stupid problems with simple stuff like cables caused failures in the air. What you end up with is a system that is heavy, dangerous and not up to date with the technology that is available elsewhere.
Like it or not, the Inspire 1 Pro is so far ahead of all competition in every aspect of automated flight control and imaging quality, there is nothing left to discuss.

Denny, thanks for your reply - I am thinking about your comments.

Last edited by a moderator:

uavblue

Denny, thanks for your reply - I am thinking about your comments. Later - think saying there is nothing left to discuss is a comment that seems a bit closed. There are a lot of different applications in this world and no one drone fixes them all. There is a lot of fine engineering in the Align products and they are constantly updating them. Many people fly what you would call big dangerous machines. Drone failures can happen to any machine and they do all sorts of bad things such as fly-aways and falling out of the sky. Certainly everything should be done to mitigate that possibility. Note that the Inspire is only a Quad - no motor redundancy. One motor failure and its all over. There are x6, x8s and x4-x8s available that are far less likely yo crash on a motor or ESC failure.

DJI has some fine products but they are not an end-all. Camera technology is changing all the time and the Inspire camera will go out of date - then what? Declining prices like the P2. Also, closed systems like the Inspire can often be problematic to repair. There is room for more than one type of UAV.

I am not Align, only took them on because of many great features and so far my flying experience has been great. Flying a smaller Sony Alpha Camera. Soon the A7000 will be out and I think that is going to be the one to use. 4K, reasonable weight and supposedly no overheating issues.

You are right, there is more to discuss. It is a fact that the more motors you have the less efficient it is. The new technology in motor manufacture makes them very reliable. The only reason to have more motors is to lift more weight and that is something we don't need and should avoid now that we don't need to lift DSLRs and other cameras that are loaded with features/weight that is not required for AP. The autonomous flight options that are now standard on the Inspire and the Phantom 3 puts them a very long way in front with regard to code. The Sony A7s is the best low light video camera that money can buy and the X5 is just as good and much lighter with many functions called for by pro-shooters, such as the ability to control exposer and focus from the ground. There will be improvements in both systems but I would bet money that DJI will advance faster.
I think the Solo has been a big disappointment for most people and this like all of the GoPro based machines are flawed from the start. The most ridiculous thing I have seen from Align is the M690 with a GoPro.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
DJI definitely has the upper hand in understanding the needs of aerial camera systems where camera manufacturers are still completely unaware. GoPro still has its place though, you can have it strapped to you ski or motorcycle helmet one day and flying from your heli the next. If DJI could just be more aware of customers' service needs it would be so much easier to embrace them, IMHO

uavblue

If you saw a 690 with a GoPro, then I agree that is would make a ridiculous combination. Never been much on GoPros but they make since for small machines, Except there is the P3 with a better camera and control of the shoot functions. Why a GoPro UAV if you can buy a Phantom 3. GoPro is only useful for small waterproof drones.

I agree with you on Cameras - no need to fly a heavy digital DSLR. I think mostly people are looking for more motors for stability. Wind is a player here. I am still testing but it seems six would be more stable than four. Don't want eight but I admit that X4-X8s fascinate me with the opposing motors. I have no experience with them. I don't think DJI can cover all needs. Drones are and will be used for many things not just high quality aerial photography. Catch a ride on the wave, its all moving very fast.

Interesting discussion - thanks

uavblue

DJI definitely has the upper hand in understanding the needs of aerial camera systems where camera manufacturers are still completely unaware. GoPro still has its place though, you can have it strapped to you ski or motorcycle helmet one day and flying from your heli the next. If DJI could just be more aware of customers' service needs it would be so much easier to embrace them, IMHO

You are so correct. I marvel at the missed opportunities in camera features and firmware. Take the Sony Alpha, there is no way to supply external voltage. Its battery swap after battery swap. This is also effecting ground photographers with tripods and long shoots. DJI is certainly advancing but its a money machine. Don't look for better service. It just not in the cards these days at most large manufactures.

My Align distributer says the factory tells them almost nothing.

AMAZING!!!

@Bart
I do believe that DJI have done a lot to embrace what has historically been a frustrating problem. Still needs some work though.
Customer support from Align factory is non existent and relies on dealers and distributors who are left in the dark. It would seem that they are only interested in local market and the model business is just a sideline anyway. The cultural differences between them and China is still one of 'take the money and run.' Walkera is another place to NOT GO.