Alexmos wha??????

R6Media

Being the owner of a simple plug and play no nonsense Zenmuse gimbal which i find to be "ok" I've decided I want to turn my brain to absolute mush and try and understand what the alexmos stabilization rigamarole is all about.

Without asking a million questions here, where can I go to find out:

1. What exactly is Alexmos in regards to gimbals (what is it for?)
2. How do you use it and configure it?
3. What are the benefits?
4. What compares?

I keep seeing it pop up but I don't totally understand what I'm reading when I read about it so I could use a good tutorial site.
Please forgive what seems like a silly question but I don't know what to do with a "Brushless Gimbal Controller"
Is it essentially the GCU that works with the Zenmuse???

Appreciate the help

Last edited by a moderator:

tombrown1

Simplebgc.com. the disadvantage of the zen is not being able to switch cameras or lenses. If you get a good bl gimbal you can rebalance it easily for different payloads.

Alexmos is the brains behind that gimbal. You would need to buy a bl gimbal with motors and a bl board that supports the alexmos firmware.

Alexmos is not for the faint of heart. It is difficult to configure. You can get zen like results but it will take many hours. Zen is the best out there if you can stick with 1 camera.

R6Media

Thanks for that Tom. Looks like the perfect place to start. by BL you mean Brushless I presume?

I've wondered what the big deal about changing lenses on the Zen is.
Besides the need to rebalance and "void" a warranty that doesn't seem that great to begin with, what are the consequences to the gimbal?
I personally don't find my zen to be as flawless as people claim and it could use some tweaking IMO. Virtually impossible to find info on what would need to be done though as far as Zenmuse recalibrating.
Is the GCU "programmed" for specific lens and overall weights? Just thinking.

tombrown1

No real consequences for changing the lens besides shaky footage. You can't recalibrate the Zen. It works or it doesn't work. You can balance it. There are videos on how to do that. Your Zen is only made for one camera and lens combination. If you are not using that then you will need to rebalance.

Oh, and BL is brushless.

R6Media

Hmmmmm. I wonder why the the footage would be shaky if it was rebalanced with a diff lens. I doubt some technician in China is more human than any of us when it comes to balancing a gimbal. Think they do it with robots? :)

tombrown1

Sorry, I misunderstood. If you rebalance then footage will be good, but rebalancing on the Zen is not easy and sometimes not possible depending on the lens.

R6Media

Oh I gotcha Tom.
Thanks again for the Alex Mos info. Looked at some of your Vimeo footage. Your gimbal is working well for you!

That Quinnipiac University From Above video was really clean! Did you sharpen and color correct in post or fly the GH3 with it set to look good?
I've been wrestling lately with the way I want to go. Flat video and more post or let my Nex be vivid and sharp. Def on the fence!

Last edited by a moderator: