Airline travel with LiPo stories?

nature

I've got a little project going (might turn into an article) on traveling with LiPo batteries on commercial airlines. I'm going to refer to the FAA and TSA since I am from America. I fully understand that there are other agencies that are responsible for our safety world-wide. (for instance, 2.3.5.9 IATA essentially says the same thing as 49 CFR 175.10(a)(18) )

The stories I have heard thus far have one common theme - the folks at TSA do not know the regulations (to which they are hired to enforce) on this matter. Thus they assume the worse (assume you do not have a right to carry them on).

So if you have a story or interaction with TSA and traveling with your LiPo's please share. I'm not just looking for the nasty ones but the ones that were not a problem are equally as valuable.

I'm also wondering about certain rights while I travel (or go through security). For instance let's say I am traveling to LAX from Denver (and eventually onto Hawaii) in three weeks (actually true!!!! :black_eyed: ) and I get stopped at security and questioned about my LiPo's to the point that security has decided I cannot carry them on. My first reaction would be to kindly inform the agent that I am indeed allowed to carry on these batteries under the regulations I note above. The good case scenario is the agent doesn't know the rules, I pull out a sheet of paper with said rules on them (including URLs), and said agent realizes (s)he's in the wrong and allows me to travel with them. But this story assumes the worse - security agent somehow rationalizes even with regs in front of them I am not allowed to do this (or they simply state they are not going to let me have my batteries). At that point I'd be calling for a supervisor and I'm sure a long talk would ensue. Assuming the worse I have shown up at both airports with an extra 45 minutes to spare for an informative (on their part) conversation.

So one of the things I'm wondering is how much information can I ask about the individuals retaining me and my batteries? Can I ask for first and last name and TSA agent number? Supervisors name (climbing the chain until I get to Obama if I have too ;) )? Am I allowed in any way to record the "conversation". Can I take photos of the agents?

And then let's continue with the worse case scenario and say that even after I've climbed the chain and wasted an hour they refuse to give me the batteries back what recourse do I have? It certainly strikes me that anyone performing a job where they do not understand the regulations they are tasked with enforcing should probably be in another line of work. Or, is it going to get so bad and are so many of us going to get our batteries taken before we take action?

I'm not one to assume the negative in my life. But in this particular case I believe that might be the best approach (cuz if I get to the Big Island without LiPo's I'm going to be so pissed). Maybe nobody is getting their LiPo's yanked - just don't know. But if it is a common theme then empowerment through education is an avenue I'll choose.

It would be great if this line of questioning above is nothing more than a - "nothing to see here, move along, move along". But I suspect otherwise.

As this activity continues to grow it's becoming blatantly obvious that we must understand the regulations we must operate under. But that is a two way street. I'm all for responsible flying. I'm all for operating under the regulations for the country/area I am flying. I'm about respecting people and wildlife. And.... I'm all about calling out the doucebags that reflect bad on those of us that are doing the right thing at every turn.

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:

Well, there is about 2 years that I don't flight with equipment, but I had no problem. I use to travel a lot with RC cars for racing in mayor events. Because I leave in Puerto Rico, the only way to get to the states to the events is by plane. Normally what we do is to disassemble everything and have them apart. All lipos disconnected and evolve them in a towel or something to cushion them. So far no problem with them, the only problem is with the smell of the denatured alcohol we use to clean everything.

More information about what you're actually planning to travel with would help others chime in.

I personally haven't had any issues traveling with lipo's within the conus. I fly with 12 6s5000's, 6 4s1500's, and 12 3s2200's. I have pictures of the equipment they power that quickly answer questions as to what they're for. After a quick swab for explosive residue on my charging case and lipo case, I'm on my way.

nature

Matt - thanks. This is what I'm looking for.
I'm not traveling with anything unusual. Pretty much what you list - 3s 4000s mostly.
The pictures of the equipment is an excellent idea.
It might be that my little project is not worth pursuing.

Edgar - why the alcohol?

Nature: we use denatured alcohol to clean the cars, it can be used on Carbon Fiber and electronics without damaging them, we just spray it and then just blow it wiht a compressor.
I get clean as new. Remeber that on tracks it always get some grim.