After Naza Firmware upgrade, motors won't start.

jforkner

All was well. My Naza kit worked & flew well. Then I noticed an Assistant Software & Firmware upgrade to take me from Assistant 1.0 to 1.1 and Firmware 0.1 to 1.02. Downloaded, installed, recalibrated the Tx, verified the firmware change in the Assistant.

Went out to give it a try and the motors won't start. Tried several CSC commands---nothing. Redid firmware upgrade and Tx recalibration several times. No luck. Verified the Rx is working.

I'm sure it's something stupid I did (or didn't do), but I can't figure out what. Doesn't appear I can backtrack to the older firmware version, so I don't know where to go from here.

Any thoughts or ideas will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Jack

Gunter

Draganflyer X4
Jack,

When calibrating the transmitter, are you sure that all of the stick inputs are working in the correct direction, ie you don't need to reverse one of them? It sounds like it's not arming properly and one of the sticks are reversed.

Gunter.

lperagallo

hobby-drones.com
Jack,

Did you write down all your settings and then Hit "defualt" in each screen, hit "write", then re enter your information? Did you check to make sure that your modes are turning blue properly? Are you getting the correct tones from your ESCs?

Let me know,
Lou

jforkner

Jack,

Did you write down all your settings and then Hit "defualt" in each screen, hit "write", then re enter your information? Did you check to make sure that your modes are turning blue properly? Are you getting the correct tones from your ESCs?

Let me know,
Lou

No I didn't write down the settings before I upgraded. But in my defense, they weren't different from default save for the voltage monitoring.

I did select "default," then "write", then "QX" mixer type (same as before), then "write again.

There's no default setting on the Tx Monitor screen. But I reselected "traditional" & "intelligent," then calibrated the Tx sticks verifying the correct direction in all cases. I verified the control mode switch was switching properly and the on-screen indicators turned blue properly. Finally, I hit "write."

On the Autopilot screen, I selected "default" (which I had before), and hit "write."

On Gimbal, I selected "default" (as before) and hit "write."

On Voltage Monitor, I selected the ON button for Protection Switch and verified the voltage and battery type for the battery connected. I even did a "calibrate." I also verified the voltages for the alarms and hit "write."

I close the Assistant Window, disconnect the batter, and then the USB cable. I reconnect the battery and hear what I believe are the ESC arming---not sure what the tones are supposed to be---I get two short beeps followed by a short string of tones increasing in pitch. The LED flashes grre a bit then settles into a steady slow-flashing amber. I move the two TX sticks into the lower left-hand corner of the gimbal area and NOTHING HAPPENS! Under the old version of the firmware, immediately on placing the sticks in that position, the motors would start turning. If I didn't advance the throttle stick within 3 sec., they would shut down. Otherwise they spun up and away I went.

jforkner

Mea Culpa. Mea Culpa

Operator error! I had to reverse the Elevator Channel in the Assistant software. The motors start as they should.

I had flown the quad a half dozen times (and once just prior to the upgrade), and "thought" i knew all the settings when using the old firmware. I'm using a Futaba transmitter and knew I had to reverse the throttle (which I did in the radio, not the software); I "thought" the other channels were all set to NORM. In reading the Users Manual for the umpteenth time, I noted "Elevator: Slide left is craft back, slide right is craft front." This makes sense and was how it worked before; but I didn't remember reversing the channel to achieve it. And I had assumed all the old settings would carry over after the upgrade, so I didn't verify everything as I should have.

My only excuse is I turn 69 in 3 weeks and my memory sucks. A poor excuse, true, but it's the only one I've got.

Thanks to all who offered advice. A frustrating experience for sure, but I did learn a couple things...RTFM (read the #$%@! manual) and if everything is working, don't upgrade.

Jack

lperagallo

hobby-drones.com

jack,

happy birthday!. Feel free to contact me anytime you hve an issue. Upgrading is usually the best way to stay current with the best firmware and flying experience.

Lou