Affect of long term MR frame vibration!

What is the verdict on the NAZA controller regarding long term MR airframe vibration? Does it eventually destroy the controller functionality?
The reason I ask is that I have had 50 plus flights on my NAZA c/w F550 with upgraded motors and props and it is now going berzerk....

In spite of adding black tape to the sides of the controller, it has most recently begun to change altitude very suddenly without RC Tx input.
This will happen in no wind conditions as well. Unlike the typical Attitude or GPS Attitude constrained climb rates, this thing has begun to rip into the sky like a bat out of hell. Frequently the RC control inputs no longer affect the F550.

By some miracle I have been able to get it back although it has bounced up and down on the soft ground a few times like a kangaroo on steroids!!!

I was hoping this product would, at least, last longer than my batteries!! Is there a chance this item can be returned for repair or replacement?:upset:

Last edited by a moderator:

SMP

Just a weird thing to check... Make sure your receiver is operating in Normal mode and not Hi-Speed. Have had some wild rides due to that...

Thanks for the suggestion SMP..... I followed it and the MR seemed to work correctly for about 4 minutes then went crazy again.
I was able to regain control just before it was about to hit the ground and it landed safely again but with a bump.
It is reaching the point now where it is too dangerous to fly!!!!
For these tests I chose my oldest vehicle and a remote site away from property as well as people ofcourse.
But might also need a helmet if I try one last time.

Just a weird thing to check... Make sure your receiver is operating in Normal mode and not Hi-Speed. Have had some wild rides due to that...

Dewster

Lol. Man...I almost crapped myself laughing at your description. I can almost picture what your craft is doing. Check to see that you didn't cover up those little holes on the IMU with the tape.

What temperature are you flying in? Going from a warm house/car to cooler/cold conditions have caused erratic behavior in the past. Let your craft sit and adjust to outside temperature.

Have you had any bad crashes with your system?

Maybe there's a loose solder joint. Check your connections. Maybe your getting intermittent power fluctuations to one or more motors causing the flight system to fight hard (crazy) to keep the craft stable.

I hope there's not a short shelf life for these systems. I'm having too much fun.

Bison52

That sounds a lot like the problems I've been having since upgrading to Avrotos and 11 inch props. Smooth flying for a bit then shudder and loss of control/altitude. Gains had no effect.

Tried replicating with craft tied down to bench, no luck. All motors and esc running cool.

Finally balanced motors as well as possible, rebalanced props, replaced 3M tape holding Naza with adhesive gel.

I also removed the post on the aftermarket GPS mount and fastened it directly to the top plate. The mount was sturdy but heavy and when the vibrations started to feed back, it seemed to accentuate them.

After these fixes and about ten flights, the problem seems dramatically improved.

I think the bigger, more powerful motors on the arm extensions make the 550 and its arms much more vulnerable to vibrations, which feed back to the Naza. It can be tuned out, but its touchy.

I'd really like to try some Zeal tape for the Naza mount but it always seems to be sold out.

Mike

Dewster

I have Avroto motors on my DJI F-550 converted Y6. I bought, but didn't use arm extension. I can see how any vibration could be transferred from the mounts to the craft. I just wonder about how your craft starts out smooth and then goes crazy.

Do you think that the vibration has some cumulative effect on the flight algorithm or sensors?
Here's a YouTube video of two crashes. The first crash in the video is from two multicopters that collide. The second one is where the Naza locks up and crashes.

http://youtu.be/jDM6kaNd84E

ChrisViperM

Peter, since the new NAZA Assistant software/Firmware is out and the possibility to use it on either the NAZA V1 or the NAZA V2, give that a try. I suspect your IMU needs a re-calibration, and the new firmware got a much better calibrating tool.

http://www.multirotorforums.com/showthread.php?11207-FAQ-for-Naza-M-3-10-Firmware

As you know, I got a problem with slow decent at fast forward fly, and I will flash the new firmware as well....also ESC re-calibration, new model in my Tx and starting from scratch in the NAZA assistant.....it's the easiest way to find out if problems are software- or hardware related......

Chris

Olemil

I'd really like to try some Zeal tape for the Naza mount but it always seems to be sold out.

Mike
I too have been tempted to try this to help with vibes, in fact I've had a package of it in my drawer for quite some time. They have it in stock here in case you want some. Sorry to butt in, just wanted to let you know.

ChrisViperM

If you want to make sure your problem is not related to vibrations, try to mount the NAZA
with some Moongel: http://www.rtom.com/moongel.htm

It doesn't stick as solid as double-sided tape, but it won't come off while flying....also the best stuff ever to get rid of jello on cameras....2 layers of Moongel on top of each other, and the jello is gone, regardless how bad it was...

Chris

Thanks........I think you have provided some valuable feedback here. Also it gives me a sense of hope that this problem can eventually be solved without struggling with the local Hobby shop and/or dealer with a product return/replacement RMA's etc.:shame:

That sounds a lot like the problems I've been having since upgrading to Avrotos and 11 inch props. Smooth flying for a bit then shudder and loss of control/altitude. Gains had no effect.

Tried replicating with craft tied down to bench, no luck. All motors and esc running cool.

Finally balanced motors as well as possible, rebalanced props, replaced 3M tape holding Naza with adhesive gel.

I also removed the post on the aftermarket GPS mount and fastened it directly to the top plate. The mount was sturdy but heavy and when the vibrations started to feed back, it seemed to accentuate them.

After these fixes and about ten flights, the problem seems dramatically improved.

I think the bigger, more powerful motors on the arm extensions make the 550 and its arms much more vulnerable to vibrations, which feed back to the Naza. It can be tuned out, but its touchy.

Mike

Thanks Chris...... more valuable feedback from this forum as usual. I was not aware that the new Assitant and firmware could be installed on V1...... will try that, plus meticulous rebalancing, plus adhesive gel or Zeal tape etc. and report back here.:shame:

Peter, since the new NAZA Assistant software/Firmware is out and the possibility to use it on either the NAZA V1 or the NAZA V2, give that a try. I suspect your IMU needs a re-calibration, and the new firmware got a much better calibrating tool.

http://www.multirotorforums.com/showthread.php?11207-FAQ-for-Naza-M-3-10-Firmware

As you know, I got a problem with slow decent at fast forward fly, and I will flash the new firmware as well....also ESC re-calibration, new model in my Tx and starting from scratch in the NAZA assistant.....it's the easiest way to find out if problems are software- or hardware related......

Chris

DO you sell this product across the US/Canada border and if so, can you ship by USParcel Service? We WILL NOT accept UPS courier shipments into Canada (long story)!

I too have been tempted to try this to help with vibes, in fact I've had a package of it in my drawer for quite some time. They have it in stock here in case you want some. Sorry to butt in, just wanted to let you know.

gtranquilla

RadioActive
Bison.... Your feedback lead me to try the Zeal tape but I also swapped out the APC 10x5 eprops for the APC 10x4.7 slow fly props..... Now it flys perfectly like it used to......
Any remaining vibration can't get to the Naza controller now :tennis::tennis::tennis:....
I owe you a case of beer!

Mike