Aerial Videos of Golf courses

gtranquilla

RadioActive
When doing golf course fairways from tee-off to pin how are MR pilots doing these? Especially for the longer holes, e.g., 500 yards. Are pilots using FPV and/or autonomous waypoint flights?

evel_knievel34

Same here we use a utility cart that doesn't have a roof or windshield, have done it fpv but I just don't like flying a large octo out of my vision. Even being in a bumpy cart is more comfortable to me than flying fpv with an expensive octo

Last edited by a moderator:

OK.... I've done that it is seems to be the best option overall.

Also...... How do people handle situations where the golfers suddenly show up on the fairway or at the tee box?..... I don't like to fly over anyone even if they, the course marshal and golf course management are not concerned. This has been a first time no charge task for the purpose of getting a web site c/w aerial videos up and running. I see severe challenges forthcoming to do this commercially.

Teamflail

Also...... How do people handle situations where the golfers suddenly show up on the fairway or at the tee box?..... I don't like to fly over anyone even if they, the course marshal and golf course management are not concerned. This has been a first time no charge task for the purpose of getting a web site c/w aerial videos up and running. I see severe challenges forthcoming to do this commercially.

Was wondering that same thing as I would not fly over or near anyone just for safety reasons. Here in Arizona, United States, luckily we have the middle of the day as it is very hot but most places, I can see that being a challenge. Not like they are going to close the golf course.

DennyR

When I do it for TV CGI with a full size helicopter before a major, they have to close the course by law. That is because we are cleared to fly below the the statutory limit for the area. Shooting for your local club is a bit different, they should be informed that they are responsible for insurance as they are the clients, if they are a private club then they can take responsibility for what goes on but if it's a public course then be careful. Have it in writing because if things go wrong they will act against you.

tombrown1

Par 5s: Stand under a tree halfway down the hole and fly a mix of LOS and FPV. Oh, and don't hit any trees - they seem to be popular on golf courses.
Most Par 4s and 3s you can stand behind the tee box and fly mostly LOS to the hole.

gtranquilla

RadioActive
see attached video..... par 5 - 500 yard fairway is in a narrow valley....doglegging to the right as one approaches the pin. The 800mm Hex seems to have a tendency to yaw with a crosswind. Had to stand on the ridge above the sand trap about 200 yards from the tee-off to maintain LOS and RC TX radio signal for the full flight. Apparently sloppy MR setup plus some sloppy flying on my part due to transition challenges switch back and forth between visual and FPV flying.....I think I need to travel along in an open cart to get it back under control on the next try..
Par 5s: Stand under a tree halfway down the hole and fly a mix of LOS and FPV. Oh, and don't hit any trees - they seem to be popular on golf courses.
Most Par 4s and 3s you can stand behind the tee box and fly mostly LOS to the hole.

Last edited by a moderator:

tombrown1

Just fly full on FPV for this - doesn't look too hard - it's not like that's a tree-lined fairway. And make sure your failsafe is set up if you go out of radio range. This is extremely important.

CopterCam

Coming at this from a Golfers perspective, I've seen many Golf Hole Fly Byes over the years that do nothing to promote the Course or assist the Golfer in formulating a game plan.

To those offering this service, may I suggest some points to consider :

a) maintain a constant altitude, speed and field of view to capture the entire width of hole, to include hazards, boundaries, etc.

b) fly directly over the play line of the hole, this is particularly important on the longer dogleg holes.

c) when approaching the Green, it is very effective to reduce speed and increase altitude while tilting the camera down to capture the entire Green, hazards and surround. A camera operator could train the lense on this view as the RC Pilot does a 180* and then holds position.

Here are some CGI Fly Byes to give some idea of this last point. These fly byes are too low and too fast. although it is possible to play them at 0.5 speed on YT, which, I feel is more effective. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkErJ-JnpIs

Hope this helps ?

Redundant PGA Pro :)

gtranquilla

RadioActive
Very good information CopterCAM..... I will implement these ideas going forward.
Coming at this from a Golfers perspective, I've seen many Golf Hole Fly Byes over the years that do nothing to promote the Course or assist the Golfer in formulating a game plan.

To those offering this service, may I suggest some points to consider :

a) maintain a constant altitude, speed and field of view to capture the entire width of hole, to include hazards, boundaries, etc.

b) fly directly over the play line of the hole, this is particularly important on the longer dogleg holes.

c) when approaching the Green, it is very effective to reduce speed and increase altitude while tilting the camera down to capture the entire Green, hazards and surround. A camera operator could train the lense on this view as the RC Pilot does a 180* and then holds position.

Here are some CGI Fly Byes to give some idea of this last point. These fly byes are too low and too fast. although it is possible to play them at 0.5 speed on YT, which, I feel is more effective. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkErJ-JnpIs

Hope this helps ?

Redundant PGA Pro :)

I

iflysolo

FPV flying solo of course. A 650 yard flight can be done in about 4 minutes round trip. Stand as far behind the tee box as possible. Working alone I can complete 18 holes in about 3 1/2 - 4 hours. Bring 25 batteries. Enjoy the view.

Last edited:

gtranquilla

RadioActive
3 1/2 hours seems quite efficient. The video is excellent...... and provides me with some ideas for improvements. I am curious....What are you flying that might need 25 batteries for the complete course?