Aerial Photo/Video Forums area expanding, suggestions?

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Hi everyone,

Aerial photography and video continues to be a major application for multi-rotor helicopters and to that end I'd like to add sub-forums to make these discussions more focused and to make the AP/AV area less cluttered.

WHat sub-forums areas would you like to see in the new expanded area?

Also, kudos to our two faithful moderators RTRyder and Droider but I'm going to ask for a new moderator to keep an eye on the AP/AV area specifically. You're a great bunch so the job of a moderator is more to smile a lot and look good when people walk by. Flagging spammy posts is also important as is keeping an eye out for shills and troublesome situations.

I'm excited about this and am looking forward to your suggestions! Thanks in advance.

Bart

Av8Chuck

Aerovideo started a post in the HF forum about what makes good aerial video, I think its a good idea to have discussions about styles and techniques to produce aerial video that is controller agnostic and how AP is integrated with other footage to make a compelling video. A lot of AP discussions are dominated by people who might be avid RC'rs first and are interested in videography second, I think there has been a growing constituency of people who are videographers first and RC second. I don't really enjoy flying expensive cameras but do it because of the incredible perspective. It would be great if there was a place that professional videographers could help aspiring AP'ers and vis versa.

Interestingly, most professional producers often look at AP as an extension or tool for doing production, an aerial jib for example, it would also be great if there was a section that explored the potential for AP to become its own art form. We started by looking into everyone's backyards, thanks to people like Jeff Scholl and Aerovideo transitioned to beautiful vistas in Montana and Idaho, what's next? Where can we go with this? We have a beautiful planet and AP can provide a perspective that most could not see without it so How can we combine Ap with a narrative, how can we give it a meaning? I realize this isn't for everyone but the dialog could be different, it doesn't need to be about who is the best at AP, hopefully this sort of discussion could provide people who don't have the money or time to build a MR an opportunity to advance this art form.

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
Nice idea Bart about the expansion but I think it should go further with specific forums for things like agriculture, mapping, surveying etc. There might not be much traffic now but in 12 months time.... and so why not get ahead of the game now and ensure that people keep this Forum as the go to choice. As for photography sub forums there could be a whole host:

Camera setups
Lenses
Video links ie VRXs VTXs covering things like HD, SD, antennae etc
Ground station setups
Shooting methods tips and tricks

Im sure there are plenty of others but that's a starter for 10

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
Camera setups
Lenses
Video links ie VRXs VTXs covering things like HD, SD, antennae etc
Ground station setups
Shooting methods tips and tricks

Im sure there are plenty of others but that's a starter for 10

These are great! I like the equipment breakdowns, like cameras could be separated into Lumix, Sony, Canon, BM, GoPro, maybe just to top 5 candidates and a “everything else)
I’m always looking for more info about my cams and this would make it easy!

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
A 'How to become a licensed UAV Aerial Photographer' section would be helpful, discussing the road from turning a hobby into a profession.

I also have lots of free time and would like to be considered for a moderator position. I find I'm reading the forum throughout the day and am a full-time, qualified aerial operator.

Cheers!

Bartman

Here's where I'm at with this

Pro Media Show Reels (Participation would be screened and there would have to be some public disclosure about your company/operation to post here)
Aerial Media General Discussions (this would be for general questions about getting started, insurance, dealing with other media professionals, and what not)
Technique, Aerial Photography
Technique, Aerial Video
Technique, Aerial media for other applications
Equipment, Carriers (camera mounts, handles, etc.)
Equipment, Photography (stills cameras)
Equipment, Video (video cameras)
Equipment, Wireless connections (data, image, etc.)
Pro Certification/Regulation Programs

Bartman

ANy comments on this before we go ahead and make some changes to the site? Nothing is necessarily permanent once the changes are made but I'd like to get most of it right on the first try. :)

Thanks,
Bart

Great idea Bart. I am finding I need more technical information relating to AP projects all the time. My last post today was about a DIY head tracker to control an AP gimbal. Not just for basic FPV which is what others use this project for. So it make me thing a technical thread for miscellaneous AP specific electronics or devises is needed.

Technical- misc AP specific electronics and hardware

Carapau

How about expanding 'Technique, Aerial media for other applications' to

Technique, Aerial Thermography
and Technique Aerial Near Infra Red

I see these two areas becoming pretty large over the next year or two

Bartman

How about expanding 'Technique, Aerial media for other applications' to

Technique, Aerial Thermography
and Technique Aerial Near Infra Red

I see these two areas becoming pretty large over the next year or two

what is the difference between those two suggestions?

Carapau

Near infra red is very different from far infra red in terms of the technology required. So, far infra red is purely thermal and this is the band used to see what temperature things are at. Near infra red is more akin to normal light all be it not visible to the naked eye. For example, when you see the green and black image images on TV for night shots, not only is this showing highly amplified light but it is also showing reflected near infra red or 'black' light. This is also known as Image Intensification or II. With the sensors being so different along with what they measure the applications are thus also very different as is the equipment used to detect etc etc.

Two examples of how the different techs are used are:

Near Infra Red: Crop health through use of NDVI

Far Infra Red (Thermography): Seeing where gasses are escaping from high pressure pipe lines (as the gas escapes it cools the metal surrounding the leak).

Last edited by a moderator:

Bartman

considering the traffic through that sub-forum may be light for a while can they be combined without it causing a problem?