advice with building an octocopter

Lars Bülow

Hi

i am new in here and have a question that I hope there someone who can answer :)

i have plans to build me a drone "octocopter" to be able to lift a DSLR "Canon 6D" 1,5 kg

going to buy it via hobby king and found the following setup

Turnigy MEGA 400Wx2 Battery Charger/Discharger (800W)

Turnigy 1080W 100~120V Power Supply (13.8V~18V – 60amp)

Tarot IRON MAN T1000 Octo-Copter Carbon Fiber Frame (KIT) TL100B01

Turnigy TGY-i6 AFHDS Transmitter and 6CH Receiver (Mode 2)

Turnigy nano-tech 8000mAh 6S 25~50C Lipo Pack

Slow Fly Electric Prop 1447 (2 pc – Grey) Right Hand Rotation

Slow Fly Electric Prop 1447 (2 pc – Grey)

Multiwii and Megapirate AIO Flight Controller w/FTDI (ATmega 2560) V2.0

Turnigy Multistar 4225-390Kv 16Pole Multi-Rotor Outrunner

will it be possible with setup above to fly an lift the DSLR or do i miss/need something more ?

in advance thank you very much

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
You're going to need to find the thrust data for those motors. I'm not familiar with the quality - but hobby king is not good with providing key data. You might want to sign up for access to ecalc. That helps you design a craft for your specific needs/weight requirements.

The key to determining whether the Multirotor will be able to handle your needs is to keep track of all components and weights. Then decide on a motor that will handle the total weight (AUW), including camera, batteries etc.

Also, I think for your purposes, you're going to want a radio/receiver with more than 6 channels. Most AP/V rigs will need 8 or more channels to handle the craft, as well as camera, gimbal etc.

eskil23

Wikipedia Photographer
You are going to need more than six channels for this beast.
Pitch, roll, yaw, throttle, camera pan, camera tilt, camera trigger, mode switch and landing gear. That's nine channels right there. Then you probably want things like IOC and parachute trigger too.

Lars Bülow

thank you very much, that was some helpful advices

i will take a look on ecalc and see what it's says if the motors can handle the weight.

i also found this controller instead HERE which have 10 ch, there was also one with 14 but i must set a budget or else the project price is going sky high :)

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I'm starting to sound like a broken record, but if budget is an issue, check out the Frsky Taranis Plus. It comes in at about $220 USD with a receiver and protective case. Great features and functions. Especially for the money.

Lars Bülow

the Frsky Taranis Plus does not seem to be a bad choice, more features and functions and CH compared to the one i found, and almost same price.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
It looks like the battery weight is correct. Try plugging in one of the stock propellers in the size you'll be using. See if that makes any difference. Those motors just might not have enough thrust????

Your photo shows you entered 30A ESCs, but the link in last post was 20a. Make sure you get the right ESCs (30a would be safest).

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
You're right. It is per cell. It's been a while.

That looks pretty good now. Make sure you test the numbers with an actual prop, just to make sure. You can use the APC props in the program - the ones you ordered are knock-offs of them.

Did you order the ESCs already? If so, make sure 20A esc works in the program. It looked like it should be safe - but again, make sure all the data is correct.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Unfortunately, no I would not :)

There are far too many cheap gimbal sitting on work benches across the world, having been tried, tweaked and then abandoned because they just won't work right. There is no question you get what you pay for. And I would suggest doing a lot of research.

Which camera are you trying to lift? Realize that you want to take this into account before you place orders for motors etc. you need to be sure you can lift the weight you'll be adding.

Lars Bülow

Okay i thought so

I'm trying to lift a Canon 6d 1.4 kg. But I already have calculated that into the weight :) but I think I will do some research then, and maybe start with my gopro, tills I find a gimbal for my Canon

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Yep, you are going to want to look into a good gimbal for that camera and weight. There are a couple threads here on the forum that have been discussing the most recent offerings.