Advice for starting out

tectic

I have already started to order parts for a DJI F550 Hexacopter which I would like to build myself as I get the parts in.
I have a good knowledge of RC electrics coming from an RC car background and no problems in the soldering and connection side.
But in the meantime I was thinking about ordering a DJI Phantom 2 to get me flying and get some practice in as it is RTF.
I eventually would like to Install my Go-pro on the F550 so I was going to order the Phantom V2 with Zemuse gimbal combo with a view to installing it on the F550.
I was thinking about using extended arms and lower KV motors with bigger props for a more stable platform for the camera.
I have a Frsky Taranis X9D ordered for the radio and am using Afro 30A ESC,s. I am looking at the T-Motor MT2216 800KV motors
With a Naza V2 inc GPS. Props and Lipos I have not done anything about yet till I get some idea of the built weight.

So my main question is do you think getting a Phantom will be a wise move for getting flying experience (Without the camera and gimbal). or should I go straight to the DJI F550 bearing in mind I have no experience in prop balancing, Motor balancing and trimming/Adjusting the flight parameters.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated