Advice DJI Wookong M VS DJI A2 Flight controller

UAV

What are some pros and cons between the DJI Wookong M FC, and the DJI A2 FC? Ive heard about the issues with the Wookong IMU vibrations, should this be a concern? How could i prevent this? I have a Wookong M system on my Tarot T15 Octocopter, And i have heard of this issue several times. I am considering replacing it with the A2 FC, do you think this is necessary? Do you know of any other issues with the Wookong flight controllers? Let me know your opinions.

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
The WKM works. The A2 has many problems. Suggesting swapping a WKM for an A2 is just silly.

Do you have any problems with your WKM?

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
My first S800/WKM suffered from the vibration thing. The manifestation was a periodic sudden loss of altitude. Fortunately it never smacked the ground but it did come within inches a couple of times. DJI subsequently announced that the existing (plastic cased) IMU was not suitable for use with "Heavy-Lift" airframes. Their definition of a "Heavy-Lift" airframe was one that exceeded 7 kg All-Up-Weight.

This of course was a bloody joke because a bog standard S800 with Zenmuse and retracts weighs 7.6 kg (with video Tx, LiPo's and just the normal stuff). Having owned up they then unashamedly told their revered clients to pay for an IMU v2 (metal cased and precursor to the A2 IMU) to avoid drilling holes in the ground with their Professional Aerial Photography product.

I also invested in their anti-vibration kit, EVO booms and every other blasted bolt on/bandaid that they came up with in their efforts to make the S800 actually do what they liked to claim.

Then, much against my preferences and only because of circumstances, I had to buy an EVO and decided to give the A2 a shot. This was partly so that I did not have to also buy another receiver. Surprise, surprise, the A2 was faulty. It turned out that it was just the Main Controller box that was bad. I replaced just the MC and subsequently the new EVO/A2 rig behaved as it should.

I read all the these reports about the A2 and wonder if there is a bogeyman waiting to suddenly jump out after twenty/thirty/ninety flights but I have to say that having sorted out the initial problem it has done a good job so far. I will qualify this apparent praise though because it does occasionally produce some weird LED shows - usually whilst it is still on the ground. When it does I invariably disconnect and re-power up.

I no longer mount the IMU on the external tray. I plain and simple do not agree with the notion that the main aircraft attitude sensor should be dislocated and shielded from the airframe on a separate and movable sub-frame. It is just pure nonsense. It is also a royal pain to have to keep removing it when the airframe and Bi-Pod are separated. So I have the IMU mounted in its designated hole on the main central hub and it has so far not objected nor done anything unpleasant.

Compass calibration can be a bit hit or miss. The WKM confirmation of successful was a good, obvious White LED for three seconds. The A2 just sort of ambles off into GPS activated without a definite success signal. Slightly unnerving that if it does not give the obvious flashing red Failure indication you have to assume that it all went well.

So to finally get around to addressing your initial question, if you have a functioning WKM there is no great advantage in changing it for an A2. The metal cased IMU upgrade could be worth considering but then I know many who still use the original plastic cased IMU on heavy lifters without issues.

One friendly advice to people using S800 antivibe kit and have the IMU mounted on it's original location. Due to the rubber kit the main frame is free to vibrate more without the weight of the gimbal and lipos.

As for the Wkm and A2 the A2 is just more feature rich and not a better FC. Since DJI is bogging the software with every feature imaginable more things can and will go wrong. A simple setup is a safer setup.

Another option to consider is the Superx fc if you are not using a zenmuse. Over the last few months I have come to trust the SX much more than my Wkm and Naza's. Plus it's flight performance is less constipated than any DJI product. YMMV