Advice and recommendation needed regarding S900 n Wookong

Dear experts,

I am willing to buy S900 with wookong and nex 5 to use it for geo mapping and surveillance. I have few questions as I am totally new to dji products.

1. Which radio do u recommend to use with it? I am thinking frsky taranis x9d.

2. It will mostly fly in auto using pc GCS with Datalink. Which Datalink do you recommend 2.4ghz or 900mhz?

3. If I go for 2.4ghz Datalink, will it interfere with radio control?

4. Anyone tried 3dr ardupilot telemetry module with wookong? It just needs a serial link then it should work imo.

5. Nex 5 will be used for taking still pics. Is there a way to geo tag them using wookong, if so, how exactly?

6. I am also looking for brushless gimbal cheaper than z15 but effective
The cam would pointing exactly downward most of the time. What do you think about arris 2 axis Brushless Gimbal for nex 5?

Thanks in advance

Happy flying

soler

Hi,

In short

1. Taranis seams a good option but I have not tried it, Futaba seams to work well with DJI, I use an 8FG

2. I think the 2.4ghz is standard now but this may be different in the US

3. No this will not interfere

4. The 3dr module will only work with the ardupilot not the wookong

5. You can geotag if the camera is trigger from within the mission planner but not from the TX, People have reported this is a little difficult to do, check for the thread on this. If your not going to use a zenmuse then it maybe worth looking at a camera that can do the geo tagging automatically

6. The zenmuse works well when pointed down, other gimbals especially the brushless type can get gimbal lock in vertical orientation due to the IMU placement. If you want to setup in this mode it maybe worth setting your gimbal horizon with the camera already pointing down.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ronan

Dear experts,

I am willing to buy S900 with wookong and nex 5 to use it for geo mapping and surveillance. I have few questions as I am totally new to dji products.

1. Which radio do u recommend to use with it? I am thinking frsky taranis x9d.

2. It will mostly fly in auto using pc GCS with Datalink. Which Datalink do you recommend 2.4ghz or 900mhz?

3. If I go for 2.4ghz Datalink, will it interfere with radio control?

4. Anyone tried 3dr ardupilot telemetry module with wookong? It just needs a serial link then it should work imo.

5. Nex 5 will be used for taking still pics. Is there a way to geo tag them using wookong, if so, how exactly?

6. I am also looking for brushless gimbal cheaper than z15 but effective
The cam would pointing exactly downward most of the time. What do you think about arris 2 axis Brushless Gimbal for nex 5?

Thanks in advance

Happy flying

1. Futaba 14SG
2. 2.4ghz
3. No, because you etheir have the datalink in control, or your remote.
4. Never tried it.
5. Unsure, my camera geotag's itself with built-in GPS
6. Never tried it. For field mapping at 90 degree, i use a anti-vibration carbon fiber plate (2 carbon plates sandwiching the rubber balls).

1. Futaba 14SG
2. 2.4ghz
3. No, because you etheir have the datalink in control, or your remote.
4. Never tried it.
5. Unsure, my camera geotag's itself with built-in GPS
6. Never tried it. For field mapping at 90 degree, i use a anti-vibration carbon fiber plate (2 carbon plates sandwiching the rubber balls).
Thanks which camera do u use?

Ronan

Ronan,

Can I ask what mod you did to the A6000 ?

Sure, when doing field mapping i paid a company a lot of money to convert the A6000 to CIR (near infrared basically), this was before i started to look at multispectral camera's. I beleive they changed/added a filter on the sensor. Would i do it again? No, it's too expensive and it took like 5 weeks before i got my camera back.

If someone was going to do it, i would stick a regular camera + multispectral camera (like a tetracam).