AD6 much more stable in fail safe than it is in GPS mode

andrewrob

Noticed the other day when testing the failsafe that the craft was instantly more stable with no toilet bowling when in fail safe.
I've attached a screen shot of our current gains, disturbed is up at 160%. Its fine in attitude mode but toilet bowls slightly in GPS, and as said above instantly perfect as soon as fail safe is engaged.

Thanks

View attachment 7138

Attachments

• gains.JPG
    gains.JPG
    94.3 KB · Views: 316

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Noticed the other day when testing the failsafe that the craft was instantly more stable with no toilet bowling when in fail safe.
I've attached a screen shot of our current gains, disturbed is up at 160%. Its fine in attitude mode but toilet bowls slightly in GPS, and as said above instantly perfect as soon as fail safe is engaged.

When I had this problem with any DJI flight controller it has always turned out to be one of two things, a bad compass calibration or positioning the GPS unit to match the magnetic declination where I live. Try recalibrating the compass first to see if that helps. I looked up the declination for the location you have listed in you profile and it is west 2 degrees 8 minutes or -2.8. That isn't a large variance but orienting the GPS module 3 to 4 degrees to the left in relation to the front of the multi will improve position hold accuracy. In my case the declination is -14.7 which makes for a very noticeable TB effect if the GPS isn't offset 15 degrees to the left.

The reason RTH works well is because the WKM is just plotting a straight line course back to the coordinates where the motors were started, not trying to hold itself in place with faulty position information as it tries to do in position hold.

Ken