A2 with DJI D-Bus adapter or Futaba S-BUS adapter?

Quinton

but very recently I had a flyaway with my A2 and 14SG.

*i can fly ridiculous far with just running the A2 RX versus my 7008SB

What sort of fly away was it, *and how far out were you when it happened?

@Bartman I was wondering why you would want to buy another transmitter when you already had the T8J which should work fine?

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
What sort of fly away was it, *and how far out were you when it happened?

@Bartman I was wondering why you would want to buy another transmitter when you already had the T8J which should work fine?

i'm beginning to wonder the same thing! i've got to go through it to see if 8 channels is enough with the retracts and everything. in looking at the A2 manual last night it very well might but I'm about to go make a decision as I need the radio ASAP if I'm going to order the Futaba 14 channel one.

Bartman

Was looking through this thread, is anyone using the A2 with either the DJI Dbus or Futaba sBus adapters?

Thanks,
Bart

MacMan

The short answer is (a) just bind to the A2 with the radio, or (b) connect the Futaba receiver to the radio via a single S.Bus/DBUS cable.

Then the question is how to handle gimbal control and gear. The A2 has four outputs for other channel assignment, so one can be programmed for gear and three can go to the gimbal. That completes the job unless you want telemetry or to fully use available channels for additional gimbal control. If so, my plan below is one way to go.

I have an A2 build in process and am planning on using a 7008sb receiver (so I can get telemetry on the radio), with that receiver connected to the A2 via S.Bus (DBUS). I will run the gear out of the A2. For the Zenmuse (one-man setup) I am planning on running the Futaba receiver in D mode (that gets me channels 9-12 out of the receiver on ports 1-4). Then I'll use a Futaba SBD-1 decoder to get channels 13 and 14 out (I also need the Futaba PC interface tool to program the SBD-1). All-in, that should get me 5-6 channels for Zenmuse control and 8 channels dedicated to the A2 and gear. I am waiting on the SBD-1 to try all of this, so this is just a plan at this point.

Old Post I know, but econfly did you ever go this rout and how did it work for you?

MacMan

Yes, it works. Later I sold the A2 and migrated to a Lightbridge setup.

When you had it working, as you noted in your post, did you find that it worked well? I think what you did, as best I understand it, is about what I want to accomplish.

Do you suppose you could walk me through "exactly" what you did and how you did it? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

econfly

Yes, it works well and you can get 14 usable channels out of the 7008sb. The last two are just on/off so reserve those for gear or some other binary control.

Setup is actually pretty simple for the first 12 channels. Connect the 7008sb to the A2 using the S.Bus2 port. You can then map channels in the A2 assistant software as desired, and use F1-F4 (aka D1-D4) on the A2 to control gear and/or Zen channels. Here the A2 is acting in part like an S.Bus decoder (which it literally is) and outputting 4 external channels for you to use as desired.

The only slightly complex part is getting the digital channels (DG1 and DG2) out of the receiver. For that you need an S.Bus decoder. The Futaba SBD-1 works very well. You also need the Futaba CIU-2 channel setting tool. Follow the CIU-2 directions closely. It only works if wired up just the right way. Set the output channels on the SBD-1 to be DG1, DG2, and one other channel (channel 8 is nice choice because 1-7 are needed for the A2 and 9-12 can output over the 4 A2 ports, but you could map channels differently if you want in the A2 software). When all is setup, plug the SBD-1 into the S.Bus port on the 7008SB. That's it. Program the radio as usual and check the servo screen to confirm you have controls linked to channels as desired.

MacMan

Yes, it works well and you can get 14 usable channels out of the 7008sb. The last two are just on/off so reserve those for gear or some other binary control.

Setup is actually pretty simple for the first 12 channels. Connect the 7008sb to the A2 using the S.Bus2 port. You can then map channels in the A2 assistant software as desired, and use F1-F4 (aka D1-D4) on the A2 to control gear and/or Zen channels. Here the A2 is acting in part like an S.Bus decoder (which it literally is) and outputting 4 external channels for you to use as desired.

The only slightly complex part is getting the digital channels (DG1 and DG2) out of the receiver. For that you need an S.Bus decoder. The Futaba SBD-1 works very well. You also need the Futaba CIU-2 channel setting tool. Follow the CIU-2 directions closely. It only works if wired up just the right way. Set the output channels on the SBD-1 to be DG1, DG2, and one other channel (channel 8 is nice choice because 1-7 are needed for the A2 and 9-12 can output over the 4 A2 ports, but you could map channels differently if you want in the A2 software). When all is setup, plug the SBD-1 into the S.Bus port on the 7008SB. That's it. Program the radio as usual and check the servo screen to confirm you have controls linked to channels as desired.

I thank you sir, and I will give that a try.

Giovanni59

I have been having issues again with my WKM so I bought the A2 for my Hexacrafter HC1100 and searched for info on set up.
Now I am really confused, so many options. I was hoping to just plug all the channels in as I always did, Throttle, Rudder, Aileron, etc.
So it looks like the A2 has its own receiver and I just plug into S1 or S2?
I am a novice and fear I will not be able to configure the radio correctly. I have the Futaba T8J.
Can anyone recommend an easy tutorial on what the procedure is?

Thanks

John

Bartman

I have been having issues again with my WKM so I bought the A2 for my Hexacrafter HC1100 and searched for info on set up.
Now I am really confused, so many options. I was hoping to just plug all the channels in as I always did, Throttle, Rudder, Aileron, etc.
So it looks like the A2 has its own receiver and I just plug into S1 or S2?
I am a novice and fear I will not be able to configure the radio correctly. I have the Futaba T8J.
Can anyone recommend an easy tutorial on what the procedure is?

Thanks

John

John,

Bind the radio to the A2 and then set up per the directions in the back of the A2 user manual.

There won't be a Futaba receiver in the system as there is already a Futaba compatible receiver in the A2.

Giovanni59

ftlunder (what kind of name is that?) thanks and yes I have considered superX but I have been told it has issues so I decided to stick with DJI
(until I buy an Alta, that is)

Bart, yes, I am realizing that it will be relatively simple and I can take off the Futaba RX.
Thanks

apollo11

Hi , if you are aiming to have the d-bus converter be carefull because i have one and it happens very often to lose rc signal even at 20m distance
Dji starts to be a piece of crap, a2 is the most big crap i seen from them i can say i am much more happy with the wooking with imu upgrade.

apollo11

the futaba is best connected with the dji a2 integrate receiver . even so the rc signal wont be that great in range.

Giovanni59

What kind of range are we talking compared to what I am used to with WKM?
I always fly LOS anyways, never more than half a mile away.
Why would the A2, an upgrade FC from DJI have inferior range?

fltundra

ftlunder (what kind of name is that?) thanks and yes I have considered superX but I have been told it has issues so I decided to stick with DJI
(until I buy an Alta, that is)

Bart, yes, I am realizing that it will be relatively simple and I can take off the Futaba RX.
Thanks
No offense, but I and a few others have never had any issues. The problems I've seen were all related to frame and power, or lack of skills. I been flying the SuperX almost every day for just shy of two years.

Fat Corgi

Without anymore DJI bashing, can anyone tell me the output voltage of the inbuilt rx? From what I have found with regards to the separate DR16 it's 5v, but I just wanted to see if anyone can confirm this?

Giovanni59

I'm still a little confused on binding. I have read in other threads that the Futaba radio I have, the T8J is not compatible with the A2 RX. The A2 requires FASST and the T8J uses S-FHSS. Bart, you have the T8J, how did you connect with the A2? Were you able to bind with the A2's internal RX or did you go with S.Bus?

Was Steve's suggestion that using a single s.bus for all inputs is more dangerous because all signals are coming into one port?

So, it seems another option is to buy an adaptor, either one made by DJI (expensive) or one made by Futaba (less expensive) and connect all the inputs, A, E, T, R &b U the traditional way.

Why do they always keep changing around the way things connect? It seems as the technology develops rather than making things more compatible they do the opposite?

Thanks

John