A2 No LEDs...??

teecee

Did a little test flight with my S900 today. Flight went great but when I landed I noticed the yellow light was not flashing battery warning but rather almost solid yellow with the odd flicker. Grounded the machine and brought it inside. I hadn't done the A2 update yet so I figured it was time to do that and perhaps that would fix the problem (or just cause more...). Now that I have her on the bench I get NO lights at all when plugged in to the battery although it will still fly oddly enough. I can not connect via USB either. I haven't seen this one before... Ideas??

teecee

OK, got 'er figured out and it is a little scary actually. Started doing the "wiggle test" on every connection. Got to wiggling the Can Bus ports on the A2 and right away the LEDs came back up and all was well. Great - I found the problem. Not great - now I have to spend the rest of my life worrying that those plugs will come undone in flight and....

For the record, my CAN bus ports were glued in and appeared to be fully plugged in on visual inspection. It wasn't until after they were wiggled that the LED came back and the system was fully operational. I suspect minor corrosion and will inspect further as this is my oldest A2 unit.

Lesson Learned - check all connections prior to all flights!!! Just because something looks to be fully plugged in doesn't mean that it is. The good news is everything worked even with a faulty connection. The other good news was that I noticed immediately that something was not right with my LED (solid yellow with a little flicker) and I grounded the machine. It was just a test flight in the yard and not a production day so that part was easy.

I really do love these things but they terrify me so. With single rotor it is about skill and simple mechanical. With these big multirotors it is about skill but, much more importantly, it is all about the holistic well being of the entire UAV. This means systems, coms, maintenance, repair, adjustments, flight logs, test flights, checklists, SOPs and due diligence. One bad connection can, and will bring these birds down. Do the work. It it ain't right don't fly!

Pumpkinguy

Check this out.
I would like to think quality control would be a top priority on something that could kill someone and as a consumer id even be willing to pay more knowing that a certain brand had many layers of qc to insure stuff like this couldnt happen.

teecee

That is scary! Perhaps even more scary with the A2 which appears to be harder to "open up" and inspect. There is an aspect to this sport/business/whatever that does terrify me. We are so dependent on the technology 100% of the time to keep the birds in the air. I lost my first big hex and I am sure most others who are seriously into this have had incidents or near misses, many of which were based on technological failures that are almost impossible to know about. There is a very good reason that we are not allowed to fly over people...

Andy T

Check this out.
I would like to think quality control would be a top priority on something that could kill someone and as a consumer id even be willing to pay more knowing that a certain brand had many layers of qc to insure stuff like this couldnt happen.

Very sorry to hear about your crash. Looking for some clarification. In your video you said you were having problems with a motor (singular) intermittently not spinning but then you when on to say your replaced all of the motors and ESCs (plural). Why did you replace all of the motors and ESCs if only one motor was causing you a problem? Or were you having problems with more than one motor? If you were having problems with other motors or ESCs than it is unlikely that the missing solder alone was the cause of your intermittent problems. If it was just one motor that your were having problems with prior to your crash which number motor was it? You never mentioned it. Was it motor #1? The same connector that was missing solder on your FC?

Thanks,
Andy