A2/ Lightbridge Groundstation?

Nola26

I recently built an S900 with the A2/ Light Bridge/ H3-3D gimbal/ Gopro 4/ Tau2 Flir camera. I have Pulse 22000 mAh batteries.

The craft is used for search and rescue operations. I went with the H3-3D/ GoPro setup because we don't need movie quality video. The simple gopro HD live feed and the FLIR camera is all we really need. I figured this way we would save on weight and increase our flight time. I am hoping to get between 25-30 mins of flight time from this setup. During my first few test flights, I flew pretty aggressively/ fast but just back and fourth a couple hundred yards. I did a few fast climbs but not much. I flew this way for 20-25 mins. After I landed I was getting a voltage reading of 3.85-3.9 per cell. But this is not the point of this post.

For search and rescue, it would be beneficial to be able to map out a pre determined flight/ search pattern. The ground station does just that but from what I am reading I can't use it with the Lightbridge. If I dont use the Lightbridge for RC control of the craft can it work or is it still not a good idea? Is there a plan to implement the ground station feature into the LB?

Nola26

Anyone? I can't figure out how to connect the gimbal and lightbridge to the A2. Both the A2 and gimbal have canbus connections but I only have one canbus left. I do not want to control the copter with the lightbridge. I want to maintain control of copter and gimbal using the A2.

Tahoe Ed

Anyone? I can't figure out how to connect the gimbal and lightbridge to the A2. Both the A2 and gimbal have canbus connections but I only have one canbus left. I do not want to control the copter with the lightbridge. I want to maintain control of copter and gimbal using the A2.

The Data Link and the Lightbridge are both on the same frequency. It is not recommended that you use both.

Nola26

She DJI just made users of the highest end of their product line unable to have a ground station? Is there a way to make the LB work as a ground station?

Tahoe Ed

She DJI just made users of the highest end of their product line unable to have a ground station? Is there a way to make the LB work as a ground station?

Currently no. I have been flying the Lightbridge almost a year now. That has always been the case. You can use 5.8gHz for RC, the Lightbridge for video only and try the 2.4 Data Link. At least then if the Data Link connection get broken you will still have RC control.

snurre

I wish DJI would at least come up with a 433MHz ground station link, like this one from 3DR (they use a cheap and robust bulk radio module inside). Integrating GS link into Lightbridge would be even better though.

DJI does offer a 900MHz GS model, but it´s useless/illegal here in Europe due mobile networks fq usage.

"DJI just made users of the highest end of their product line unable to have a ground station?"

I share your astonishment about this.

Tom

Nola26

Just a curious question here, but if Spektrum, Futaba, etc. can all make 2.4Ghz radios that don't interfere with each other when flying multiple aircraft at the same time, then why will the DJI datalink and the Lightbridge interfere with each other? Hypothetical scenario- what if there were multiple S900's flying in the same area, and some had the Lightbridge and others had the ground station, would they all either crash or lose video feeds?

snurre

Good point.
I guess the problem here is that the Lightbridge onboard TX outputs relatively high power, high bandwidth and high duty cycle and may saturate the poor 2.4GHz RC RX due to their close proximity (onboard the same vehicle).

Nola26

But for $1400, one would expect that the RF from the lightbridge would be shielded from other equipment on the same aircraft at least. Do you think I will be OK to add the ground station if I use the DSM2 built into the A2 for RC control? All I use the Lightbridge for is video transmission.

snurre

As for using DSM2 - NO - I would actually advice against that.

Mind you I yet have no personal experience of this specific subject, though I am facing exactly the same dilemma in my current build project. Anyway, DSM2 does not use frequency hopping but rather two "fixed" channels that the system assigns after an initial scan of all available channels. After that channels do not change, even if stepped on by other energy source.

DSMX and most other modern protocols (Futaba, FrSky,...) use frequency hopping, which should provide more tolerance towards interference.
Though, if the source of interference is strong/close enough, any 2.4GHz receiving system might be knocked out due to saturation of the antenna input cirquit. Comparison could be trying to catch a whisper from the audience when standing in a middle a metal band playing at full.

To solve this with shielding, as you mentioned, would be a challange since the shielding inevitabely would negatively impact the performance of the system subject to shielding.
I am not saying it is impossible, just that as one should be cauctious and test thorougly before trusting such an installation combo.

grmw

I've gotten to this post late, but I'm glad Nola26 brought it up. So they still have no way for a DJI system to run Lightbridge and Ground Station at the same time? I was actually getting really excited about purchasing a Lightbridge soon, but without the ability to fly autonomously it seems like a waste. Is there a different setup with a different brand that allows for this?

Thanks!

Pumpkinguy

I was talking to a pro that uses LB for video only (no slip rings on gimbal) and futaba 2.4 for aircraft control. Zero issues.