A2 + Futaba 14SG Signal Loss Failsafe setup

bostonkiter

There's a fantastic video that I didn't bookmark. The guy explains the procedure of how to setup a 14SG w/ A2 to kick on RTH.

Does anyone know how?!

Thanks!

Tahoe Ed

If you are using the DS16 internal Rx you do not have to set up RTH on signal loss. It does it internally. To trigger RTH you can map a channel in the Tx.

bostonkiter

Thank you very much for the information. The only issue is that it does not show that the system goes into failsafe when I turn off the transmitter. It remains in whatever flight profile I have left in.

aerialdream

Greetings,

First time here so hi to all.
I have a huge problem.

I have bought from a shop ( they build and configured ) 6copter Vulcan frame and Dji A2 Controler. Don't remember motors etc right now. But i bought the best configuration i could. Since i wanted to use it with 3 axis gimbal. And wanted a good result. And that is what i received.

Now let's go ahead to my huge problem. After i received it ( we had a test flight with the shop owner ) the second time i went to test it ( on my own ) after tried to flight it i went up for about 2 meters and without do anything went imediately on the left like if you have it on manual mode and crashed. the result was 2 propelers broke. I am and experienced user and i have 2 other copters one is f450 and the other a phantom 2 vision. The compass calibration was correct, the signal from the gps also and of course the button in gps mode. When i went back to the shop he told me had no idea why this happened... And calmed me down. Now after that i flyed for 3 times more and everything went smooth. At the 6th time i went to fly it everything went smooth again. I landed to ckech the battery and saw i had 4 more minutes of flight time so i took off again, here comes the problem after 10 seconds at about 20 meters the 6copter turned fast right like a motor or something went off... i tried to low it and land it but NO RESPONSE!!! it made half cirlce and started taking altitude and distance... My first reaction after i saw i had no control was the panic button to return to home... no response... after that i completely turned off the futaba control...again no response!!!! I totally lost the 6copter and i didn't even finally found it after days of searching at the spot i last saw at the fpv that was just on the air... ( even if i could find it would be broken sicne last altitude was at about 100meters last time i saw it from FPV ) as you can understand i am in terrible position. .. Now i want to mention that my checks before flight was very good to see if everything was in position. After that i called the shop and told me had no idea why this happened. also i mailed the DJI and after a week has passed no reply...

Does anyone knows why failsafe did not worked? What should i do now???? It's clear 1000% that is not my fault or something...

Thanks in advance!!!

coreyperez

Scott provided a link and I'd recommend DO NOT, DO NOT, DO NOT trust that setting to work. There are 2 links that I'll provide that will get you close, but note!!! Even the link I provided (RC Groups) fails in the same way. The last link (3rd one) is a write up I just did that explains what is wrong with the failsafe methods people are using with the Futaba equipment.

http://youtu.be/NJ8lkBwu_AY
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1973186

Vs. writing an indepth response here I have another link that could save other's the same problem, I did a quick write-up below.

http://www.multirotorforums.com/sho...uase)-of-the-DJI-Fly-Away&p=156082#post156082

Corey

There's a fantastic video that I didn't bookmark. The guy explains the procedure of how to setup a 14SG w/ A2 to kick on RTH.

Does anyone know how?!

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

aerialdream

Checking at my Futaba (this is what i have in my hands now :( + the charger etc...) i saw it wasn't enabled. So the option return to home was enabled at the DJI Software Assistant and not at the Futaba Menu as i checked at the Video you shared with me. Could this be possible mistake and caused the flyaway and that was the reason for not responding to return to home button?

coreyperez

Without actually seeing it, (black and white) I would say yes. If you don't have the proper mixes setup to activate the failsafe, it cannot go into failsafe. IF the receiver sent the failsafe signal TO the FC, then it would have probably worked as the Naza was programmed. The problem probably was, there was no signal from the receiver to the FC to go into failsafe.

Regardless! It sucks that you lost your equipment. Did you have your address/contact information on it?

Corey

When using the stock A2 rx, you do not need to set failsafe in the Radio. I still it up as I would a NAZA and it does make the slider highlight a F/S area. I double checked with the Engineering and they said this isn't required but it just makes me feel better when I can see it in the assistant.

aerialdream

No information on it.. :( you know my main problem is since i paid someone proffesional to build it (to avoid all this) i should not be in this position. don't you agree?

Tuukkuli

My experience on DJI A2 failsafe is as follows. I am flying it with the built-in receiver and Futaba T8FG Super:

I programmed the return to home switch to work. I configured it so that the copter rises to 30m height, returns to home and auto lands.

On the field once RTH was triggered from a switch, the copter did just that. Went into 30m, flew back to home position and landed.

On the next flight I tried to make the same happen by switching the transmitter off. This time the copter rose into 30m again. But after that nothing happened. It just remained there, hovering. No any indication of it going to fly back. I waited for around a minute, switched the transmitter back on and flew the copter manually back to base.

Any ideas? The first level lipo warning was triggered while hovering. Might that prevent the copter to return to home?

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
Might just be how you've setup failsafe on the receiver/transmitter. Does it go into failsafe on the assistant when you turn off the transmitter? Have you got any actions programmed in for first level protection? I just have a flashing light activated.

Tuukkuli

No it does not go into failsafe in the assistant when I turn off the transmitter. How does one setup the failsafe from the TX side in this case?

In the A2 side there is no other option than what is mentioned in the assistant. And those are Hover, Go-Home and Alt Go-Home. As mentioned, I had Alt Go-Home selected.

I have no actions programmed for the first level protection. Only the LED warning.

Tahoe Ed

No it does not go into failsafe in the assistant when I turn off the transmitter. How does one setup the failsafe from the TX side in this case?

In the A2 side there is no other option than what is mentioned in the assistant. And those are Hover, Go-Home and Alt Go-Home. As mentioned, I had Alt Go-Home selected.

I have no actions programmed for the first level protection. Only the LED warning.

For the Tx, page 64 of the manual.

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
As Ed said. You have to program the receiver. You were lucky you didn't crash! I'm still surprised people turn off their transmitter without checking the setup first.

Tuukkuli

OK so the trick is to program the failsafe in the transmitter so that in case of TX signal lost, the RTH switch channel is goes into activated position and the Manual/Atti/Gps channel into GPS position?
If this is so, presumably the same applies to Wookong-M with Futaba RX as well?

Tahoe Ed

It means according to DJI Engineers you don't have to do anything to set up failsafe. There are those of us, that while we may agree with DJI, we like to see it in Assistant. The choice is up to you.

Tuukkuli

Obviously the DJI engineers are not right as my DS16 internal receiver does not go into failsafe when I switch my Futaba T8FG Super off. And as I told before, when I switched my TX off, the copter stayed put, hovering. There are numerous instructions on how to program A2 failsafe into Futaba TX. What is the most correct/recommended?

Tuukkuli

Well I was allowed to return my A2 because according to DJI Europe support, the A2 should indeed fly home without any programming when the TX is switched off. I haven't received the new one yet.
Can somebody confirm that the A2 actually works as described above?