8FG or 10CG

Fxt4me

I am going to get a Futaba for my F450 and soon to be F550, I will be doing long range FPV so UHF compatibility is important. Obliviously the 8FG Super is very popular. Because they are both sbus and can go to 14 channels is there any value to the extra channels on the 10CG. What are the pros and cons of each. Any info is appreciated.

Pelted

I am going to get a Futaba for my F450 and soon to be F550, I will be doing long range FPV so UHF compatibility is important. Obliviously the 8FG Super is very popular. Because they are both sbus and can go to 14 channels is there any value to the extra channels on the 10CG. What are the pros and cons of each. Any info is appreciated.

I wish I could answer the question but I ended up choosing the 8FG. I will likely be going to UHF at some point before to long and with its 12/14 channels there is plenty there to fly anything I would need. I could see adding head tracking or camera control, as well as things like switchable lights and if the DJI OSD ever become compatible with the NAZA then camera input switching. Either are great units from every bit of research I've done. As much as I was tempted to go the much mentioned route of a modular radio (older futaba) or something like the Turnigy 9x and Frsky I just couldn't see that be a solution for other things I wanted a great transmitter for. Plus I'm really liking what SBus does on the receiver end. The only big negative was lack of telemetry.

Shop smart though. I was about to by online but went into a really small rc shop near by and got the 8FG at just over his cost. Dealer cost was $358 if I recall what I saw on the computer. Every online place I looked and every other shop I went to it was always $480.

Fxt4me

Thanks for the info Pelted. cwg25 I am only doing research now not buying. I also think its impolite to hijack a post to advertise.

DesJardins

Just ordered my NIB 8FGs for $450.96 & it came with an extra promo 2nd 7-Channel Rx on top of the R6208SB 8-Channel 2.4GHz FASST Hi-Voltag Rx....

$440 isn't really a "great deal"

Just my opinion since this isn't in the "For sale" section
:shrug:

Last edited by a moderator:

Pelted

I think like many companies Futaba controls what pricing people are allowed to advertise. In one respect this is the kind of thing that allows little guys to compete and sell me things more like $80 cheaper than anyone else.

Anyway, I've also ordered the FrSky FASST compatible micro Rx for a small quad project, so there are some really interesting alternatives in the Rx area for these Futaba radios.

I'll have my Tx on Monday and ill write back a little about this noobs experience with the 8fg in case that helps anyone.

Fxt4me

cwg25, I did not intend to offend you but you did advertise in my last post looking for radio info, please let us know why the 8FG was a mistake for you, thats the info I am looking for not looking to spend any $ yet.

cwg25

My bad, I wasn't paying attention to thread authors and should have posted it elsewhere. I explain why I'm selling it in another thread:

I originally wanted a top notch tx/rx, but after purchasing it, the person helping me couldn't set it up. I researched and planned well before purchasing everything, but went a little overboard with the tx.