6 Motor Failures. What is this noob doing wrong.

Nocteel

I agree. The experimentation is still a bit down the road. I did check the mounting bolts but failed to report back. Again I'm using the stock bolts that came with the frame. They extend out about 4 revolutions into the motor which is maybe one or two revolutions clear of passing through the base plate. On a related note, if anything I'm using too little Loctite. So it's unlikely that any found it's way into the motor either.

More and more I'm getting the feeling that I was just incredibly unlucky here. Once I'm flying again I'll report back. Feel free to still give me any magic answers that might come to mind though.

Eggbeater

Motors

I agree. The experimentation is still a bit down the road. I did check the mounting bolts but failed to report back. Again I'm using the stock bolts that came with the frame. They extend out about 4 revolutions into the motor which is maybe one or two revolutions clear of passing through the base plate. On a related note, if anything I'm using too little Loctite. So it's unlikely that any found it's way into the motor either.

More and more I'm getting the feeling that I was just incredibly unlucky here. Once I'm flying again I'll report back. Feel free to still give me any magic answers that might come to mind though.

It doesn't matter of the bolts are stock or long or short etc. It matters what effect they have on the motor windings. Further away the better and flush with the inside of the motor can is best. Too much Loctite can be a bad thing but getting sidetracked. I want to know what happens here. It's interesting to me that you had some many go bad. Is it a bad run or something on your aircraft? At one time, ALL of the compressed air tanks in the world (scuba fire extinguishers etc) were made by TWO companies. So a bad run could affect many things in many places. Bad bearings made two years of Harleys bad. Timken and Ezo are some good names. I have Ezo's in my Tigers. Stock DJI motors are not the biest in the world but still pretty good and shouldn't have been the prob. If your props were REALLY heavy and REALLY out of balance...maybe could cause that damage. Or if the power source (or ESC's) was spinning the motors too fast for the bearings to handle the rpm and burnt up...maybe. Same thing if your MR was grossly over weight. On my ESC's I have to calibrate the throttle travel. Does yours? I just wanna know. EGG

Nocteel

Ok sorry about the laps in updates here. I had a death in the family that put a hold on this for a while. Also the replacement Twister motors have still not come in. I went ahead and bought another DJI motor to hold me over so to speak, and installed it today. In manual mode it is smooth and stable but now when I switch it into either of the stabilized modes it drifts hard to the right. I am looking into this now and will report back what if anything I find.

CrashMaster

T-Motors are now releasing their DJI motors under their own name now - http://www.rctigermotor.com/show.php?contentid=200
My experience of T-Motors is all good... My experience with DJI motors is mixed with the bottom sir-clip coming off on 2 motors. However, have never ever had a motor over heat excessively during flight. I normally check each motor at the end of each flight just by hand and if hotter than usual us IR heat tester. The hottest I ever got was 43C (109F) and that was when I noticed a missing clip. They are normally about 30C (86F) although in high wind they will go a little higher but not seriously.

Nocteel

OK so I found the updated software that the old software doesn't tell you about. Upgraded it and the firmware and after a calibration (why wasn't this an option before?) everything seams to be in order. I am noticing that the motors are about 109 F after a flight though. Of course it's hot as hell outside right now so I'm sure that isn't helping. What is the range of temp difference between ambient and motor that I should be looking for. For instance today 109 is only 15 off ambient. Would that still be considered normal? I'm also going to play with the gains to see if I can lock down the wobble in the assisted modes and maybe that will cool them down but that will have to wait for a less windy day I think.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Are you taking off and landing in an area that is very dusty? Are you frequently going from a very cold (air conditioned) environment into a hot and humid environment? Cheap materials in the motors or bearings may be succumbing to this. Are the Twister motors's bearings even shielded?

Nocteel

Are you taking off and landing in an area that is very dusty? Are you frequently going from a very cold (air conditioned) environment into a hot and humid environment? Cheap materials in the motors or bearings may be succumbing to this. Are the Twister motors's bearings even shielded?

Lets see... Not if I can help it, probably (It's always hot and humid around here), and I'm not sure. I have been struggling to find good specs on motors. Is having shielded bearings something that would be mentioned in the specs if they have it? If that's so, then no the Twister nor DJI motors have Shielding. I have wondered if it was just that I had cheep motors. I can't seam to find anything out there with similar specs for less. Which tells me I have the low end I suppose. I just don't like the idea of spending a bunch more money on motors to have them fail as well due to something else I'm overlooking.