550 3s motor upgrade questions

Daren W

New to multirotors and electric flight, so please be kind. I searched the forums on upgrades and found a lot of info but not really related to 3s usage. What I would like to do is upgrade to the following

Current weight is now loaded at 3000g - 3200g I believe.

Aimdroix arms extended
Motor upgrade for 3s
Prop for 3s useage ( 11' to 12" CF or
Graupner )

I do not sport fly so not looking for performance I am out for efficiency.

Could someone advise on a motor prop upgrade please for 3s to achieve this best?

haha49

I'm not sure of the weight but I have the following

F550
Afromen ESC
DJI motors(red ones)
Landing gear (el cheapo plastic one 20 something)
DJI mini osd
Boscam 5.8 transmitter
Tarot 2d Gimbal
Lion power 4s Lipo 10400 Mah 25C
Graupner 9 inch props (10 are better by 1 minute)
GoPro Hero 3 black

I run everything off the 1 lipo off the balance lead for the boscam and gimbal (12v)

I get 15 minutes of flight in 16km/h winds (it was before a storm)

http://youtu.be/YCV9UcHUDmQ

In general, for efficiency you want lower KV motors running higher voltage and larger props. For 3S and max 12" props, your options are somewhat limited.

If your ship will weigh 3000-3200g, you need a motor/prop combination that will lift generate 500-533g of thrust per motor at ~50% throttle. The only motor that I can think of off-hand that will do that on 3S voltage is a 2216 KV1100. Not particularly efficient, but it will at least keep your bird in the air.

If you move up to 4S or 6S batteries, you will have more (and more efficient) options available.

Daren W

Thank you for your reply, I want to make the best move due to expense and want to increase flight times. If I had to buy new lipos what setup would you recommend.

haha49

Thank you for your reply, I want to make the best move due to expense and want to increase flight times. If I had to buy new lipos what setup would you recommend.

I've use nanotech 3000 and 6000 4s lipo

With 3000 3:54 was normal 2 paired 6-8 minutes
With 6000 5;58-9:00 was normal *depends on type of flying going out up ect*
With 1040 15:36 Was 16km wind and aggressive flight into the wind with it ect.

Still testing the big one but that's what I use know.
with 2 6000 I got 14 minutes and the motors were warm the 10400 and they weren't but that could be due from me switching from plastic to grabner props It was also sluggish and heavy to fly.

If you are using the DJI 30A Opto ESC's, you're limited to a max of 4S batteries. Those are the ESC's that I'm currently using with my F550 with Aimdroix extended aluminum arms. I recently upgraded to Sunnysky V3508-16 KV700 motors and 11" props and have been very happy with them.

If I was starting over from scratch and getting new ESC's as well, I might consider dji's e600 propulsion system for 6S batteries.

Daren W

What kinda flight times are you getting and isn't the Sunnysky V3508-16 KV700 the same as the T-Motor 3508-16?

LeeT

Wannabe AP Dude
I just went through the same drill as you, because I wanted to keep my 3s batteries. I suggest you use ecalc, and you can run as many motor / battery as you want. I is very helpful for this type of analysis. BTW I ended up going to 4s batteries as I could not find a combo thar would stay in the air for over 8 minutes.

haha49

I just went through the same drill as you, because I wanted to keep my 3s batteries. I suggest you use ecalc, and you can run as many motor / battery as you want. I is very helpful for this type of analysis. BTW I ended up going to 4s batteries as I could not find a combo thar would stay in the air for over 8 minutes.

zippy 8000 3s lipo with 10 inch grupner props you get 12 minutes.