5.14a Update

HEX junky

You are correct, a forum "to express his thoughts and opinions"...and I was!
Who was I blaming??
"behave"?....am I still at school?. I have been building and flying RC (helis) for over 36 years and a professional engineer, who do you think you are?

Dewster

Anyone tried the new RTH feature? Descent rate is now based on height. I'm assuming it will slow down the closer it gets to the ground vs. maintaining an increased rate. Anyone try yet??

VINHEX

I just tried to do update, and now I can't connect to software Arrrrrrr door stop, reinstalled drivers but no luck starting to think screwed!

Getting red light for a few seconds then beeps for ever more tried to skip and set rotor but as not connected wont write... Does there site have to be up to do this wonder if gone down...

Last edited by a moderator:

JCNH

Upgraded the controller on my DJI F550 last night and didn't seem to run into any issues. I will say that this update seemed to take much longer that ones in the past. Took it out this morning in a local soccer field and it flew fine. Pretty windy and it held it's location in GPS mode pretty well. I was getting a bit of drift but I just added a new camera and I don't think I balanced the load well so I'm working on that today. I don't know if they did anything to the gimble control but it was definitely smoother and quicker than the 5.08 version.

Last edited by a moderator:

HEX junky

I've been testing my 3 machines today (in gusty condtions) and the RTH appears to work the same on all of them....That is, they fly back over the take position, they reduce height much faster than before until about 20m. At this point they pause for a little while and then continue to the ground at a slower rate. They landed within 2m of the take off point.

When upgrading make sure you have a good internet connection. I had problems upgrading my S800, until I realised I had a poor Wifi signal, I moved the laptop to a stronger signal in the house and it worked first time!...just an idea.

Dewster

I've been testing my 3 machines today (in gusty condtions) and the RTH appears to work the same on all of them....That is, they fly back over the take position, they reduce height much faster than before until about 20m. At this point they pause for a little while and then continue to the ground at a slower rate. They landed within 2m of the take off point.

When upgrading make sure you have a good internet connection. I had problems upgrading my S800, until I realised I had a poor Wifi signal, I moved the laptop to a stronger signal in the house and it worked first time!...just an idea.

Good info! Thanks!

snurre

Poi??

I did three flights with 5.14a on a octocopter+Mega radius camera mount. AUW 8kg
I was test-flying new fw as well as the camera mount stabilization, so I may have been distracted by the both tasks at hand.

Anyhow. RTH works good, both in failsafe and commanded. I can confirm that after descending at good rate, it halts at like 10 meters for a short while (15sek) whereafter it slowly descends and lands. IMO it is descending a little too slow the last part, but I suppose that is to ensure a soft touch down. And it does land nicely, close to the starting point.

However, I could not make it fly POI. I marked the POI and then switched to POI (in GPS mode) but after having backed out from the POI like 10m, I switched on POI and attempted to start POI flying, but it just flew sideways, not in a circle. I have done it successfully several times on 5.12a, so I do know how to do it.

Anybody else tried POI on this firmware? If so - success or fail?
I will try again tomorrow.
Cheers / Tomas

Can you ex plain how to mark the poi and use that is the only thing i have bout got figured out yet

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Warlock

You never know, this might actually be better. It looks like they removed somethings, which in my book, can be a good thing. No more intelligent go home.

Could you explain why intelligent go home is a bad thing? If it is because it will shoot up another 60 feet above the highest altitude you were flying, I agree with you. Only in some instances it will climb much higher that the 60 feet or so its supposed to. I just lost my F-550 due to stupidity, but my stupidity was amplified by my copter going so high I lost sight of it. Oh it came down, and right where it took off from but only after it hovered up there for over 8 minutes then ran out of juice. SPLAT!!

Dewster

Could you explain why intelligent go home is a bad thing? If it is because it will shoot up another 60 feet above the highest altitude you were flying, I agree with you. Only in some instances it will climb much higher that the 60 feet or so its supposed to. I just lost my F-550 due to stupidity, but my stupidity was amplified by my copter going so high I lost sight of it. Oh it came down, and right where it took off from but only after it hovered up there for over 8 minutes then ran out of juice. SPLAT!!

I looked at that setting and chose not to use intelligent go home. I like the new setting that allows you to input the altitude the craft will climb to return home. I would be dropping bricks if I saw my craft climb higher than expected. You have to have a great deal of trust in any automated sequence/mode. Not knowing what will happen will scare the bricks out of you. I had that happen the first time I tried RTH. I didn't know how to interrupt the sequence (my fault) and watched my craft circle to land. It almost struck a light pole, a window (twice) and finally ended up in a bush.

I'm sure you were not the only one that experienced that issue. You were probably the only one that posted it. Intelligent go home was a short lived feature.

Warlock

Thank you Dewster, in regard to this statement "Intelligent go home was a short lived feature." Doesn this mean, it was offered for a short time untill it was found to suck? See I had my F-550 built for me by Robert @ DJIUSA. I dont know what was out there software or firm ware wise, but I would bet Robert used what was newest. I do see in my assistant a box you can check for intelligent RTH or normal RTH, Hover, and something else I think. It was my first introduction to return to home, and oh ya, had me scared big time the first time I hit the switch. I had my F-550 about a week, and it flew like a dream no complaints better than anything I had on hand regardless. And honestly intelligent return to home was not an issue when I flew below 100 feet most all the time, it didnt go too high.

It ended up crashed badly. I already posted about it but Robert knows worlds more than I about this stuff, and he choose to set it up with intelligent RTH explaining that it would rise 20 meters above the highest level I had been at. Lile a fool, as you know im sure, I miss judged the morning cloud height and some of that was because I went to far away from where I was standing. But I just had to get some video real quick and this time higher than 100 feet or so, which was my previous record. I had so much faith in the F-550 I was not really worried.

But in no time I saw that it was close to the lower cloud base, and the clouds were scattered all around with SOME blue spots. I hit return to home and it shot up out of sight. I certainly would not have had to stones in the first place to do that on purpose, but man it went up when I hit the switch.

So high that between the clouds and the fact it must have looked like a gnat in the sky, I never saw it. As well had I just sat there and waited, I'm pretty sure it would have landed at my feet practically. Again, what is the procedure to retake controll? I know it is not turning off RTH, I did that and turned it back on again, and even turned off the transmitter in the desperate hope of bringing it down. I heard that switching to atti mode will make that happen,. All I know is I must have caused it to hang up there in a hover rather than come on down, it sat up there more than 8 minutes acording to the video before the battery died. I 'll never again go near that high, but do want to know how to get my butt out of an issure like that.

Snurre can you explain to me how to do the poi and how to set the location for doing that please.. Thanks

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

snurre

Snurre can you explain to me how to do the poi and how to set the location for doing that please.. Thanks

Sure! It is in the manual but sometimes it helps reading it in other words.

There are two ways to configure the IOC function with POI, "control2" and "control3" (else control 1 without POI function). I am using control3.
Means my 3-position IOC switch invokes: IOC off / POI / Home Lock

How to mark the POI point:
Position the copter on the spot you want to mark.
Flip the IOC switch rapidly four times between IOC off and POI. You will get some green flashes as confirmation.
Now move the copter away from the point (you are extending a radius from the Point Of Interes). It can be any distance between 5 - 500 meters. I suggest you start your testing with a 10m radius.

How to fly POI
When the copter is on the desired distance away from the Point Of Interest, flip the IOC switch to POI mode. Now there will be green flashes. The copter will slowly yaw facing towards the POI, if it was not already facing that way.
Now command some aileron with the stick. The copter will start flying sideways, while continously turning the face towards the POI. That´s it!
During the POI circling you can climb or descend normally. By using the elevator control you can move closer or away from the POI.

If you give yaw command it will turn it´s face more to the direction you command with the yaw stick. But when you center yaw stick the copter will again turn face straight towards POI (I think...).
If you get closer than 5 meter from the POI it will stop the POI logic and revert to normal flying.

I hope this was reasonabely clear. Good luck with it! :strawberry:

Just to add to Snure's post, make sure when you're flipping the switch to record the POI that you end in the OFF position. Alot of folks misread the instructions and assume when you finish recording the POI the switch should be on...that is incorrect...must be OFF. Move your distance away then switch it on.