4K, the future standard

adanac

I don't think any pixel-counting or debate about 4K is necessary. 4K is is arguably not only the future standard, but the current standard, in a way. Counting pixels is beside the point when it comes to bringing the gear that is expected on a professional shoot.

When I purchased my HVX, my 5D and my RED, I did so not because these were the very best cameras I could find, but because they were the cameras that were trending (sorry to use that word). These were the things that would get me jobs. Moreover, there are certain gear expectations on professional shoots and you just don't look right to the PM (Production Manager) or to other crew if you don't meet those expectations.

4K is a similar situation. Apart from it being technically better, it is beginning to be what's expected at a professional level and will be expected for a few years to come. There is no doubt of that.

That there is now a small, "affordable" flyable 4K camera is important, and I have no doubt I'll be flying one.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
[video]http://www.eoshd.com/content/12057/4k-camera-masses-gh4-vs-blackmagic-production-camera[/video]

yuri, sell all that old Canon stuff and buy new gear.

interesting that MoVi and aerials work is mentioned specifically in a camera review

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I understand the difference between rolling and global shutter but I dont know how much you can fill in between 2 crisp images if you wanted to use something like Twixtor for example. So there may be no motion blur but that doesnt mean the computer can interpolate 100 frames accurately in between them. So thats only good shooting at the standard frame rate and eliminating the, mostly subtle, diagonal lines from fast moving objects or pans. I want slow motion! thats really all i care about at this point. I want a Phantom Miro is what i really want. We already got the fs700 and its great but 240 at 2k is only good for human motion, not projectile speeds. Maybe Ill be the first to fly a Miro. Anyone got any $60k paying jobs they wanna give me?

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Someone had a good idea of getting a Ninja and using my 7d hdmi out. Hmmm. That would be a cheap solution for my green screen needs.

thanks for the suggestion to sell all my Canon gear. I hate clutter and really dont want to start having gear for 3 different formats. it just gets annoying. I wanna travel light and have huge flexibility.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
thanks for the suggestion to sell all my Canon gear.

i was just giving you a hard time from what i saw on the other thread that is going on about cameras in the DJI forum.

i posted about rolling shutter vs. global because i've seen the references but didn't understand so i figured the link would help.

it's just crazy how hard it is to pick a camera right now.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
No doubt and it's not gonna get an easier. The gh5 will be out in a year.

CMOS sensors read very quickly from top to bottom. You cant normally tell any difference but if you were to pan quickly while looking at a telephone pole for example, you would see a diagonal line. This is the cause of jello as well it's just happening at a faster rate. all global shutter means is that the sensor is actually capturing the entire image instantaneously. So there is no possibility of that jello or vertical lines looking diagonal. This will also greatly, if not entirely, rid of motion blur. Which I have said many times, is the single worst enemy of all interpolation based processes such as post stab, twixtor, etc. Supposedly the Gh4 has 50% quicker scan times although still not global shutter. Should this be a decision in your camera purchase? probably not. Things like dynamic range, high frame rates reduced moire, camera/lens image stabilization, lens availability, weight ease of use are much better factors IMHO. Most of us wont notice the difference from your t2i image and the gh4 once you upload it to youtube. In the end, it's the subject and composition that makes a good shot. I really want a friggin Phantom Miro!

Quinton

i was just giving you a hard time from what i saw on the other thread that is going on about cameras in the DJI forum.

i posted about rolling shutter vs. global because i've seen the references but didn't understand so i figured the link would help.

it's just crazy how hard it is to pick a camera right now.

Unless you are wanting to make a movie to show on a cinema screen, the GH4 is at this time a "no brainer" for the best all round camera that will be available soon, unless someone else comes up with something similar (not unheard of)
And that comes from someone who owns a good bit of Canon gear.

One of the best reads I have seen so far can be found at the following site for the GH4..
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/panasonic-gh4/panasonic-gh4A.HTM

ovdt

Magic Lantern adds 5D RAW recording capability, which improves the quality a lot and makes 5D more flexible camera when the camera is used with other cameras in post; for matching the colors and adding more detail to the shoot.

Also, using Ninja Atomos for recording uncompressed output of 5D MKIII in ProRes 4:4:2 generates great quality when compared to the internal 5D MK III recording quality. This makes easier to match the colors to Alexa in post.

These additions makes it possible to use 5D MKIII as a succesful B camera in sets. We shoot for TV series and movies; they mostly use Alexa. We started to shoot with Atomos Ninja in ProRes format and the DP was very happy by the results.

We recently shot RAW with 5D MKIII for a commercial, what I can say is, the difference is day/night for post production.

Quinton

Also, using Ninja Atomos for recording uncompressed output of 5D MKIII in ProRes 4:4:2 generates great quality when compared to the internal 5D MK III recording quality. This makes easier to match the colors to Alexa in post.

I am pretty sure it is 10 bit 4:2:2 and not 4:4:2 from the HDMI
A dream would be if you could grab the RAW material directly to the Ninja,..who knows as they are porting it to firmware 1.2.3

adanac

I have to agree with this. I also find the GH4 a no-brainer, assuming it looks good.

Unless you are wanting to make a movie to show on a cinema screen, the GH4 is at this time a "no brainer" for the best all round camera that will be available soon, unless someone else comes up with something similar (not unheard of)
And that comes from someone who owns a good bit of Canon gear.

One of the best reads I have seen so far can be found at the following site for the GH4..
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/panasonic-gh4/panasonic-gh4A.HTM