450 or 550?

Gambrinus

I searched but didn't see this question asked before, surprised.

I'll be ready to buy my multi kit in a few weeks and am undecided if I should spring for the 550 or not. has anyone bought the 450 and been sorry they didn't go with the 550? Since this will be my first multi, I'm sure the 450 will do the trick but I would go with the 550 if there was a good reason.

Well it might help if you can tell us what you want to do with your MR. for video the 550 will give more stability and a higher lift capacity. I started with a 450 with stock motors but have now upgraded to T-motors so I had enough lift for my setup.
I hope this helps bit.
Regards
Crspy

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
Unless you already have the answers to you questions amd by the looks you don't just go with a 450 quad and get flying, give it some and you will learn heaps and have an epiphany on what you need.

Keep the price down, don't aim too high but spend well on a good radio.

Pete

jomk63

I went with 450 - and really glad I did. You get the same amount of fun & learning during the build phase. The cost is 50% cheaper (4 vs 6) when things break [ and they will :dejection: ] . You will have the same learning curve in terms of flying skills / radio skills etc.
And then you can decide what you want from the hobby. I've just taken delivery of the frame for a Tarot 680pro hex and enjoying the decisions about motors / esc / prop / batteries etc. Havent got FPV yet, but will put that onto my trusty little 450 sometime soon.

Anyway - have fun and enjoy the learning.

coreyperez

I went with 450 - and really glad I did. You get the same amount of fun & learning during the build phase. The cost is 50% cheaper (4 vs 6) when things break [ and they will :dejection: ] . You will have the same learning curve in terms of flying skills / radio skills etc.
And then you can decide what you want from the hobby. I've just taken delivery of the frame for a Tarot 680pro hex and enjoying the decisions about motors / esc / prop / batteries etc. Havent got FPV yet, but will put that onto my trusty little 450 sometime soon.

Anyway - have fun and enjoy the learning.

I cannot recommend ENOUGH that you get a 550! Get the Hex, AND, get a 450 set of plates (knock-off, or Team Blacksheep Discovery will work). Now, for just a few dollars more than a 450 "kit" you have spares (x2 motors, ESC, Arms, props). I also remember somebody on the Group Build configuring their Hex as a quad. Even cheaper.

As many have said, you will have accidents, getting a 550 you have absolutely everything you will need (including spares) for when accidents happen. Just configure it as a Quad.

HIGHLY RECOMMEND hex into quad conversion for included spares. I also have a friend who was doing just fine with a landing gear, gimbal and GoPro I was flying on my Hex, with no real difference between the two.

Corey

I cannot recommend ENOUGH that you get a 550! Get the Hex, AND, get a 450 set of plates (knock-off, or Team Blacksheep Discovery will work). Now, for just a few dollars more than a 450 "kit" you have spares (x2 motors, ESC, Arms, props). I also remember somebody on the Group Build configuring their Hex as a quad. Even cheaper.

As many have said, you will have accidents, getting a 550 you have absolutely everything you will need (including spares) for when accidents happen. Just configure it as a Quad.

HIGHLY RECOMMEND hex into quad conversion for included spares. I also have a friend who was doing just fine with a landing gear, gimbal and GoPro I was flying on my Hex, with no real difference between the two.

Corey

Crap, thats brilliant.
I wish i read this just 3 days ago...

Gambrinus

Thanks for the replies, sorry I should have given moreinfo with my OP but I think I wrote it when I was pretty tired from readingpros and cons of the 450 vs. 550.
I'm going to use this like most do, learn, videoetc. I was all set to go with the 450 but I started to read where peopleliked the 550 better because it was more stable, carry heavier payloads, couldwithstand a motor failure in flight. Then I was reading where othersstarted with the 550 and didn't like it and went to the 450 because it was morenimble.
So, reading too much got me doubting myself. I'm back toleaning to the 450 from your replies and I like the 550/450 build idea.

Thanks