450 apm flyaway!

Hoki

omg you aren't gonna believe what happened the other day! There was this low cloud in the sky and I thought omg I wanna try to go in that so I attached my lil sjcam to s500 I made with apm gps on it and 920kv motors and a 6200mah battery and I went up there and I was like omg this is gonna be great video but I think the cloud was higher than I had thought cause by the time I reached it my copter was like a small black dot in the sky but something happened cause after I went in and out of the cloud like 2 times it started to go wonky and would no longer respond to my remote. I even tried my failsafe to land and nothing and eventually I saw it come back down a bit then it went back up and all of a sudden it comes out at the opposite end of the cloud and then goes up into another cloud and I never see it come back down and I'm like standing looking up for it to come down for a while and nothing so I donno what happened and by this time it's like way up above and kinda far out like no longer just above my yard but like over other houses and businesses so I'm like well it had to have come back down cause I know it's not aerodynamic and the wind can't carry it and I know my battery doesn't last long so I thought well maybe it came down and I just didn't see it so I went driving around like a crazy chicken and I couldn't find it anywhere and It could have come down anywhere in trees or on a building or in someones back yard or just in some gutter no one would know about. so I'm afraid I just lost my 250 dollar copter I made. I donno what happened, it was so crazy cause I've gone up and down trying to reach clounds over a dozen times without any issues but you this time I didn't do all my prechecks I usually do cause I usually bring it up a bit and hover it and make it go around my yard a little to check out how it flys and I just went straight up and I didn't allow for gps lock before I armed it and took off either so I prolly should have but I'm thinking maybe some wind blew off my gps compass so it didn't know where to go or something and it was so high I couldn't judge which way it was going in response to my remote input either so I was just fu@ked! so now I am afraid my parents are gonna get mad at me for wanting to order parts to rebuild it but I just ordered the s500 frame and the same kind of motors again but in black. and maybe next month I'll get the apm and receiver and hopefully no one will notice I lost it and rebuildilng it. cause I have a bunch of spare parts so it actually won't cost that much to remake it again, only about half the cost.

Paul-H

Hi

I suppose one question might be did you waterproof all the electronics, it can be quite wet in clouds

Did have all your fail-safe's set

Hoki

no I didn't waterproof it! I didn't know it would get so went from just a a couple dips in a white puffy! the only fail safe I had set is the one where if it loses contact with the remote it will land

Hoki

tell me about it! I already ordered parts to make a new one this time a better one and I know not to go in clouds now but how can I not want to go in those puffy things! come on!

jbrumberg

Hoki-

I am sorry to read about your loss.

I will just quote myself from RCG: "I hate to be "mean", but sadly I can believe what happened. It was only a matter of time from reading some of your posts. I believe this is a and/or could be a powerful learning moment about the differences between able to operate and piloting your RC aircraft. You have been too reliant on the flight controller functions to do your flying. What you have posted is admission of of your unsafe and irresponsible ownership and operation of your aircraft."

The feedback you received at RCG is still relevent:

From another Poster:

"There are numerous mistakes here-
1- Not doing a preflight check
2- No GPS lock before takeoff
3- Ignored the 400 ft rule (most clouds are above 400 ft.
4- Improper setup with flight controller (Failsafe & Return to Home)
5- Not familiar with orientation of multirotor
6- Faulty construction (Loose GPS)
7- Not knowing a cloud is full of moisture (possible short circuit of boards)
8- Not aware that the wind up above can steer the copter away
9- Disregard for public safety
Hopefully no one was hurt.
"...

Hoki

really, you need to come harass me on this forum too? What's your deal? I don't need gps lock cause I wasn't using gps only the compass, I was 400ft or below. who are you to say I wasn't. I do know how to fly very well with or without headless mode however I fly in headless mode cause it's hard to see orientation when your far away. I did have a failsafe on that lands when out of contact with the remote. how was I disregarding public safety? I went up in the sky in my yard with nothing but grass and field on either side of me. It only begane to fly out further and over streets and other building when it was out of my control. so tell me again, what did I do wrong besides not doing my usual check before I took off and it's that really a huge deal. even if I had done my usual check it still would have gone crazy. It's like your blaming someone for their car malfunctioning and taking off on it's own without the driver pressing on the gas or stearing. come on now, give me a break and get a life.

Hoki

plus I don't know if there was faulty contruction, I've built 5 copters and I'm pretty good at it and I secure everything well. I'm just saying it is possible of my lil gps to get blown off but I doubt that was the case. It's more likey it got wet and wonky. you're just making a lot of assumptions. I'm making some too cause I don't really know what happened, all I know is somehow it would no longer respond to my input and yet it was still flying and pretty erratically like it had a mind of it's own then it went into a bigger cloud and I never saw it come back down. I'm gonna go with an alien space ship was in the cloud hiding and when my copter went in there it was pulled on board with their beam and they took it .

Hoki

I'm defiantly gonna waterproof everything I can just in case I get wet. I actually just fixed my JJRC H26 copter. it has landed in the swimming pool a while back and I had to put in a new control board, I just had to resolder motor wires on it and it seems to fly better now than before! I love the H26 cause it seems to get more rang than the syma x8c/w copter. like I can take it up about the same and fly the same way I do with my 45o and it's just fine so I think it's pretty amazing plus it's so stable I can fly it like better than any of my copters. It's just really graceful in the air and slow too so that's prolly why, slow = no crashes and good flights and landing I think.