3S vs 4S - I can't see a difference?

Totality

I have 4S 3000 and 3S 2200 batteries running a F450 stock with Naza GPS. I have been swapping between the two on 8" props and don't really notice a difference which I thought I would. What sort of things are different between the two? I am just starting out so getting used to hovering and manouevering (no gopro, etc) so is this why I dont see any difference? Will that show up if you want to fly faster or carry more? I need some extra batteries and at the moment I am leaning towards more 3S (although higher capacity ones) but don't want to be caught out later on when I start adding a camera, etc.

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
From my experience testing with 4s 5s 6s on Octos, the more voltage the lower i had to but the gains to get a steady flying bird. You will notice a difference when you have a camera mounted.

You are not noticing any flight time difference between 3s and 4s ? strange one

Boris

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
really wait with the decision making once you mounted your camera. The game really starts once you look at the first footage you made. Than you will start looking for ways to get the smoothest flight. Testing 3s 4s different gains, props. Than the nest round starts what best in wind for good footage etc.

Totality

Haven't tested flight times yet so haven't noticed a difference that way, but I mean power wise, flight characteristics, etc. I would have thought the 4S would have a lower flight time than a similar 3S pack as it would be making the motors spin faster?

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
no opposite in must cases 4s over 3s will give you more flight time. The props don't spin faster at normal hover. You have a certain amount of thrust you have to generate to lift the bird and that will be the same as long as the payload is the same, not matter 3s or 4s. So the RPM stays the same. At full throttle and maneuvers you will notice the difference with 4s it will give you more punch over 3s.

Totality

Thanks, makes sense. I only have 2 batteries as wanted to test the 3S vs 4S theory. Looking to go FPV, etc later on so will be lifting more and would rather keep to one type of battery to save having to adjust voltages in the Naza console and for parallel charging. I have had a Google and it seems 4S is better for heavier quads. Given I will want to upgrade to a larger quad in the future too, I reckon 4S it is and no point buying more 3S ones.

Just out of interest, do you know if it is normal for one motor on the quad to stop before the others when throttling to 0% ? I'm wondering if I have a dodgy motor or whether this is just normal on a quad. 3 of the others come to a stop at the same time but one stops before the rest. I thought all 4 would stop at the same time!

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Did you calibrate all your ESCs. That a way to get rid of it if you haven't done it yet. I have the same issue though with two of my quads even thought the escs are calibrated. But i guess since you have the f450 you got DJI ESCs. As far as i remember they can't be calibrated.

In general don't worry about late sping up is more of an issue.

Totality

Yeah all stock so can't calibrate anything. All motors spring to life at the same time and seem to fly OK. Maybe one of my solder joints oxidised more than the others. Thanks for the help today. Just need to figure out how to calibrate the compass with Atti - GPS - Failsafe on the 3 way switch so no manual! Google time it is!

Totality - if you want to understand the difference in 3s vs 4s etc, go check out some charts such as the ones published for Cobra motors at www.innov8tivedesigns.com

Here is a link to an example chart:
http://innov8tivedesigns.com/Cobra/Cobra_2814-20_Specs.htm

You will see how 4s can help with certain motors, but how also in some cases 3s is better. It all depends on the specific motor/prop combination. If you don't have specific data for your motors, it will be pretty much a crapshoot.

goraplx

Yeah all stock so can't calibrate anything. All motors spring to life at the same time and seem to fly OK. Maybe one of my solder joints oxidised more than the others. Thanks for the help today. Just need to figure out how to calibrate the compass with Atti - GPS - Failsafe on the 3 way switch so no manual! Google time it is!

Hi. There is only 1 way. Just remember travel position for Manual mode and failsafe mode and change them on the field. Btw instead of failsafe 3rd mode i recomend use different channel for homelock switch.

Last edited by a moderator: