3DR..APM 2.5 to APM 2.6 converstion/update

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
If you've got an APM 2.5 and would like to bring it up to the APM 2.6 standard follow the link below for directions.

http://copter.ardupilot.com/wiki/common-external-magnetometer-for-improved-performance/

The 2.6 is different from the 2.5 in that it uses an external GPS module that also contains the magnetometer sensors. Magnetometers sense the direction of the earth's magnetic field and therefore allow the flight controller to determine headings accurately precisely the same way that a compass works.

If you're using an APM 2.5+ and don't have any heading related issues then you may or may not need to do the modification.

Regards,
Bart

Last edited by a moderator:

Kilby

Thanks for posting this up, Bart. I have an APM 2.5 on the way right now, so this is perfect timing for me. Have you gone through the process yet?

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
no i didn't Kilby, the new GPS unit was kinda expensive so I'm going to wait and see how it flies before doing it. the ESC's and power harness are done, the new higher Amperage power monitor is all wired in, and the frame is built. I just have to find the time to do final assembly and then fly it. other builds keep getting bench time ahead of this build.

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Thanks for posting this up, Bart. I have an APM 2.5 on the way right now, so this is perfect timing for me. Have you gone through the process yet?

Set it up and try it first, I have a pair of 2.5 and both work well as-is. The 2.6 was introduced for instances where interference from sources like electrical wiring or metal fasteners/objects close to the F/C are causing compass problems. I have one of the APM on a Hoverthings FlipFPV frame and well isolated, flys nearly as well as any of the DJI I own. I've heard that the newer firmware versions are better still but I haven't had a chance to upgrade and fly either of mine. On the other hand I find the advanced functions on both of my APM 2.5 work better than similarly equipped Multiwii though not as well as MK or DJI, I can live with that.

Ken

This is what mine looks like. Recommended: get the DJI GPS pole thingy. My compassmot on all my APM rigs is 1% or less. Total cost of upgrade 2.5 - 2.6: $30, and my time.

View attachment 16072

Attachments

• 4.jpeg
    4.jpeg
    62.3 KB · Views: 242

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer

I've done this on some number of boards and it's fairly straight forward. The only trick, is to connect MP and do a compass test to make sure the onboard mag is truly disabled before plugging in the external one. Some people have not cut deeply enough and had both mags active which is not good. But don't cut *too* deeply... Just cut lightly so you think you're through the layer of copper and then test.

Of note: If you're buying new equipment, the current GPS puck in the little plastic shell has a Mag onboard, so this becomes pretty much a no-brainer.