3D Software

jetkrazee

Uplifting-photography.com
Sorry this question is not directly related to MR's but we are looking for a decent 3D software for rendering 3D landscapes and such at a reasonable price that uses digital photos taken with our MR. I have found a few programs but they
are VERY $$$$$$$.

jetkrazee

I'll check that out, thanks. Really the only one I found that seems as though it will do what we want is Photomodeler scanner.

Co_Rotor

The major ones that I know of are Pix4D and Autodesk Recap. Pix4D is quite accurate from what I understand, but also quite pricey. I've used ReCap a fair bit, and while it's free, they do limit you to only 50 photos per upload. If you try it out, it works best with Hero3+ photos, not screenshots from a GoPro video.

Autodesk has a 'labs' (beta) program called Memento that I've had better luck than ReCap with. Not as limited on the number of photos you can upload if I remember correctly, and the meshes seem to be better.

That said, modelling landscaping is going to be difficult at best - it moves too much. What exactly about the landscaping are you trying to model?

Kilby

Personally, I think we are still a few years out from having a really solid solution at a good price. Most of the software out there requires a very serious workstation to run it and it pretty expensive. Of course, today's workhorse is tomorrows runt, so this will level out with time.

We have been working with a company near us that just happens to be one of the best 3D scanning companies in the country. They have a proprietary app that was able to take our photos of this monument and assemble them inside 1 day and have a model ready to print.

-Terry

Last edited by a moderator:

Ronan

Sorry this question is not directly related to MR's but we are looking for a decent 3D software for rendering 3D landscapes and such at a reasonable price that uses digital photos taken with our MR. I have found a few programs but they
are VERY $$$$$$$.

There's only 2-3 software that work for this application. We use a service that renders our photos when doing 3D mapping. It's a LOT cheaper than owning the software and spending hours doing it.

Check locally if someone can do it for you. We were quoted something like $7500 for the basic version of the software... considering it cost $100 or so to get it process locally... yeah :)

Last edited by a moderator:

jetkrazee

Thanks for all the ideas peeps and I believe getting someone local to produce the image for us is the ticket.

Ronan

Thanks for all the ideas peeps and I believe getting someone local to produce the image for us is the ticket.

You can put up an ad for it, another place to contact is Universities and also, simply, if a business offer's that service.

Av8Chuck

I've flown a couple of LIDAR tests, the camera itself weighed about 20 lbs, with 400KV motors, 17" props on 6S I could only get a couple of minutes. Not sure of the different configurations of LIDAR camera's but for the one we were flying it would need the newer KDE5212-435's with 18" props so it would be a good sized MR.

Old Man

To make it work requires some association with people that make Lidar systems of reduced size. Even then pretty much complete re-configuration of everything under the deck plates is necessary. Some custom building skills come in real handy.

Gary Bremner

Has anyone found a good service that is offering the processing? I need someone to process my project but it needs to be done with pix4d as I had it process by another company with their own software and its unusable. I used the pix4d capture app on a phantom 2 vision+ to gather the data, and when I took a quick look in pix4d it looked great, But I don't have the machine or the full version of the software to process on my own.

glamantia

Has anyone found a good service that is offering the processing? I need someone to process my project but it needs to be done with pix4d as I had it process by another company with their own software and its unusable. I used the pix4d capture app on a phantom 2 vision+ to gather the data, and when I took a quick look in pix4d it looked great, But I don't have the machine or the full version of the software to process on my own.

FIW:

https://sketchfab.com/glamantia

I am willing to process free for an opportunity to see if my Pix4D Pro skills suits your needs.