3D Robotics Iris: Fully Autonomous, $729

View attachment 13279

Today 3D Robotics (3DR) announced Iris — an advanced quadcopter with full GPS-guided autonomous capabilities. Iris is designed to provide an “out-of-the-box” flying experience that brings the power of professional grade aerial robotics to the mass market.

Iris can be controlled by an Android tablet or phone (iOS coming soon) or through a nine-channel radio control transmitter (included). With a mobile app, takeoff and landing can be done with a single touch, and mission planning is as simple as tapping on a map and drawing a path that Iris will follow.

3DR’s newest quadcopter is designed with a wide angle between the front arms to provide a clear view for its onboard camera, an optional GoPro Hero3 ® that can also be included in the package. The arms and legs are produced from Zytel Nylon ® for the ultimate in wear, abrasion and impact resistance. They come in various colors, and are easily and inexpensively replaced if required.

Iris sports a high-performance 32-bit autopilot system built on an ARM Cortex-M4 processor that runs a real-time operating system and uses the latest ST Microelectronics sensors. The flight code represents over four years of professional development and testing in a community of over 40,000 users. Iris also features an integrated power-distribution/motor-control board to reduce weight and increase available payload capacity. All of Iris’s electronics are housed under a sleek shell that provides impact protection and aerodynamic efficiency.

Iris includes an impressive list of features that are unequaled at the price point:

Multiple control options provide redundancy and flexibility: RC, computer, phone, tablet

Built-in data radio for real-time mission monitoring, data-logging, and control

Powerful cross-platform ground station/mission planning and analysis software that runs on Windows, OS X and Linux, providing simple point-and-click programming and configuration

Mobile apps allow intuitive “draw a path” mission-planning

Camera options include a live video link with programmable on-screen-display, and will soon support a fully integrated stabilized camera gimbal with autopilot control

GoPro® compatible camera mount

Available with a 9-channel RC transmitter pre-programmed for the most popular flight modes.

Pre-programmed GPS waypoints allow for professional-grade mission capabilities, such as mapping, scripted cinematography, scientific research, and other applications where repeatable flight plans are required

Auto takeoff and landing along with Return-To-Launchpoint command at the press of a button or under programmable failsafe conditions

Follow Me function for the ultimate “selfies”. In this mode, Iris will follow (at an adjustable distance) any ground station device equipped with a GPS antenna and one of our 3DR telemetry/control radios

Geo Fencing provides a virtual box to keep your drone within a user-selectable space

Open source flight code, ground station software and electronics are all freely distributed under standard open source licenses. This means that Iris’ capabilities are always improving and expanding with a simple firmware update!

Ready-to-fly Iris packages are currently available for pre-order from 3D Robotics and will begin shipping September 16th. These pre-ordered vehicles are intended for developer-level users who are familiar and comfortable with operating multi-rotor vehicles from 3D Robotics. A full consumer release of the product will follow shortly thereafter.

Developers editions available here https://store.3drobotics.com/products/iris?utm_source=3dr_blog-press-release&utm_medium=link&utm_term=3dr-iris&utm_campaign=3dr-irirs

Attachments

• iris.jpg
    iris.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 300

DennyR

Gary

This is indeed good news as I do believe APM has finally become a true front end competitor in the world market.

They need to study the new 2 axis Zenmuse and make their own 3 axis version to integrate with this. The size, weight and accuracy of the 2 axis Zen. cannot be matched with the brushless stuff as we currently know it. It would be just great to have the Chinese suffering from their own copy everything philosophy.

Kilby

So what FC are they using in this then? APM isn't 32 bit. Is it the PX4 or something similar?

Yes PX 4 based, I should have added the specs as well

Specifications:
Motor to motor dimension: 550 mm
Height: 100 mm
Weight (with battery): 1282 grams
Average flight time: 9-14 minutes
Standard battery: 11.1v 3.5Ah lithium polymer with XT-60 type connector, weight 262 grams
Propellers: (2) 10 x 4.7 normal-rotation, (2) 10 x 4.7 reverse-rotation
Motors: AC 2830, 850kv
Telemetry/Control radios available in 915mHz or 433mHz
PX4-based 32-bit autopilot with Cortex M4 processor
3DR uBlox GPS with integrated magnetometer

SamaraMedia

Gary,

Very interesting project. I was looking at the link provided and was wondering where will the GoPro attach?

John

Kilby

That's a pretty attractive package for the money. I might have to pick one up and see how it does.

SamaraMedia

I'm thinking the same thing, especially since its made here in the USA, still waiting on my TBS Pro, stuck in Singapore. I would like to know more about the GoPro mount thou. I have a couple of SBG's that I would like to mount but not sure where I could do that. I'm not interested if I can't get some stabilized video, although the specs look very intriguing for the price.
John

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
I'm thinking the same thing, especially since its made here in the USA, still waiting on my TBS Pro, stuck in Singapore. I would like to know more about the GoPro mount thou. I have a couple of SBG's that I would like to mount but not sure where I could do that. I'm not interested if I can't get some stabilized video, although the specs look very intriguing for the price.
John

3DR actually has manufacturing facilities in Mexico. They're an American company but with products made in Mexico.

I like the layout of the arms, I seem to remember seeing that squat X format somewhere........hmmmmmm.......where was that? :)

Bart

SamaraMedia

Bart, true, but Mexico is a whole lot closer than China or Singapore. Maybe the Pony Express from Mexico will get it to me quicker than the slow boat from China. I can probably expect another week's delay in Customs once it reaches NYC. My order from TBS was suppose to have shipped on August 12.

Same thing happens when I order something from HobbyKing, price is good but wait is bad, unless you can find it in their US warehouse.

Live and learn...

John

sixshooterstang

Bird's Eyes Aerial Media
Bart, true, but Mexico is a whole lot closer than China or Singapore. Maybe the Pony Express from Mexico will get it to me quicker than the slow boat from China. I can probably expect another week's delay in Customs once it reaches NYC. My order from TBS was suppose to have shipped on August 12.

Same thing happens when I order something from HobbyKing, price is good but wait is bad, unless you can find it in their US warehouse.

Live and learn...

John
3drobotics was founded in Tijuana and now has a factory there. But headquartered in California

I am ready to move up to a Drone that can do good video, Autonomous flights, FPV to watch as the Drone Fly's by GPS, and mostly one that handles well and is Very stable. I started looking at the Iris but someone told me to check out the 3DR RTF Y6 my budget is somewhere between $1000 and $1300 my experience with Drones has been with the AR Drone modified with RF Radio. I don't want to spend this much money and regret my purchase. So I am truly open for some suggestions on what I should buy. I did call about the Iris and was told there is still some problems with stability but then again it is not officially ready for release other than testing. Thank for all the help