333 Questions

Ray Ellis

Im currently working on my PPL and we have our 333 as of Nov 17/15. Im flying a S-1000 I bought about 14 months ago.
Of course its sitting Idle until my PPL is I hand but,
Just ordered a log book for logging flight hours but wanted to know what to do if the Aircraft hasn't received its N number yet. We have applied for the N number, just not in our hands

I do know I will be required to log flight and non flight hours and submit that info monthly but can that be done without the N number?

Old Man

No, you have to have a hull number to assign flight hours to. If you submit without there may be an assumption you are flying an unregistered aircraft. Don't submit anything that would/could generate questions about legality.

Non flight hours? Meaning time spent with motors turning but not flying, similar to Hobbs meter time?

Ray Ellis

yes, that's what I assume. again, just trying to get a clearer understanding of what I am required to do. Im hoping it can be done by just listing the date and entering - none

Old Man

Perhaps just keep track of the aircraft and times and hold off reporting until you have a hull number to add to the reporting document. An alternative would be to call up the area FSDO office and ask them direct. Right now you can fly all you want and log all that time, just not in a capacity for hire. An option is simply log the time as s1000. We've been able to log UAV flight time for the past 7 years or so, we just could not use those hours towards any license or rating.

Ray Ellis

My mistake was not logging hours from the day I got it. Going to have to estimate current flight hours based on video footage recorded

Old Man

Yea, accumulating 25 hours or so of flight time to qualify flying that which you've been flying takes awhile at 8 to 15 minutes a flight. There is some justification in having enough flight time on a commercial rig to assure both the craft and the operator will be safe and reliable for work though. One of those situations where it's both a PITA and sensible a the same time.

scotth

Create a document estimating your total flight time based on whatever evidence you have, have it notarized. End of story.