250 class FPV build

hello all. currently trying to finish up my 250 class build. below is my hardware list.
frame- QAV250 ebay knock-off
motors- Sunnysky 2206
props- (training) gemfan neon green 5030 tri-blade, (racing/acro) gemfan nylon 6045.
esc- Spider 15a OCTO ESC w/ simonK
FC- CC3D
Tx/RX- F00541 RadioLink T6EHP-E 2.4g 6ch trans w R7eh rx
also using a HK low-volt/pizo alarm.
2 tunigy nano-tech 4s batteries (1000mah and 1.8mah)

so currently, i have the motors mounted, the esc's soldered and installed, got the main power lines running through the frame to the back, rx mounted, cc3d setup and wired in. im using the Ground Station Control to set it all up. ive gone through everything but the transmitter setup. the motors spin up fine, everything responds great, but when i start up the tx setup wizard.... and it asks me to move my throttle, im not getting any input. i checked the rx and its not lighting up. ive read that the OCTO esc's dont supply power to the cc3d board, so i need a UBEC to do so.. which i have ordered. but my question is this, without that ubec installed, will my rx not power up? i simply wanted to get it all ready so i could solder the ubec in when it comes and fly it. but for some reason, even when plugged into usb, the rx doent come on.... any help would be greatly appreciated as im in uncharted territory here.

vinito

It just needs 5V (max 5.5V) input. Do you have any connector stuff laying around? If not, I wonder if you could get enough stuff cheap at a local hobby or electronics shop to just put together a battery or battery pack just to power the receiver. Just need gnd and (approximately)+5V on two adjacent pins of either a 2 or 3-position header at .1" spacing. Would a small 1S lipo like from a hubsan or something fit the application? or maybe just a 3-cell AA battery pack?

1S is nominal 3.7V (so DON'T use a 2S at 7.4V) but that might be enough to power a receiver for setting things up. You need to be certain that you are plugging the correct supply leads to the correct pins on the receiver. Don't fry it right out of the gate.

Dang. I can think of a dozen things I've got laying around that would power a receiver temporarily, but that's because I hobby with electronics and nothing I can think of is stuff folks would have around unless they do that too.
You might just think of other battery-powered stuff around the house that might work, like toys or a clock or something. But minimum the hack might require some soldering I think unless you get really lucky.

If you have a .1" header (servo) plug, you could use a 5V wall wart power supply and either solder or just twist the wires together to hack a receiver power supply together. You may just have an old 5V wall wart in a drawer around the house.

BTW, I think it's "opto" ESC, as in "opto-isolator".

Last edited by a moderator:

Thank you for the response yeah I don't have anything sitting around that I could use to temp power it. Think I'm just gonna wait for the ubec to come in then go from there. It's annoying to have to sit here and stare at it after spending so much time researching, ordering parts, building it

Dylan M

Which Switch...
I know it's a little late but maybe look into some of the 250 power distribution boards, they will have 5v out for FC and usually 12v out for lights or Video Tx... Worth the weight in my opinion, probably a weight saving over 2 separate UBEC...