2-man operation

1lifefilm

Hi again Benjamin!
With regard to the S1000, do you think it's vital to have a 2 man operation or could you still get a lot done with a single man operation say using the GH3, what would be the practicalities?
Thanks once again.
Simon

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
That's the million dollar question. It is stressful with one man and it usually takes a couple of goes to get it with one man. Saying that, I have been doing one-man for a year and a half with great success, but I think it is down to the transmitter I use to be honest as the control arrangement allows easy access to the gimbal controls whilst also flying. I get a lot of repeat work so I'm doing something right! Working on three separate TV series at the moment. Luckily broadcasters (especially the BBC) want interlaced footage so my GH2 is perfect (Bah! going off topic!)

I'll say again, it is stressful one-man! I think most people go for two man because it is much easier, but I like to keep costs down and it's much easier to organise one persons schedule than two.

Any help?

1lifefilm

Yeh thanks, big help. I've got the additional radio and receiver required for the second man but I'd need the down link and FPV wouldn't I, would you recommend any particular package/set up Benjamin?
As always your help is much appreciated.
thanks
Simon

Benjamin Kenobi

You can both share the monitor if you like. I prefer to give the cam-op some goggles so they don't get distracted. Or, they use the monitor/goggles and I use these Pirate-Eye sunglasses which have a small monitor built into the corner of them.

Benjamin Kenobi

Everyone flies with FPV! How on earth would you frame a shot otherwise?

I think you are thinking I'm sitting there with goggles on or something, wrong! Why does everyone get so confused by the term FPV, it just means video transmission. I have a monitor on a tripod which I glance at every now and then. Some people have it on their transmitter. When I need to look at the monitor I say 'eyes on the sky' to my observer, simples.

You are supposed to look away from your aircraft for short periods, providing someone is monitoring it. If you are not looking away from your aircraft you are not following the regulations as you need to be monitoring the airspace around you, including behind you. I had the CAA with me on a flight test who confirmed this and commended me for my scanning ability, it takes confidence in your aircraft to look away from it.

Answer your question?

mkheng

I fly both one and two man. I've put two monitors on my TX, one is the FPV camera which has all the iOSD info and the other is the GH3. When in two man mode I can get some idea of what the cameraman is trying to achieve this way. In one man mode I used to use a monitor on a tripod but doing how I do now means I can turn an keep an eye on the aircraft at all times.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1407005025.963088.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1407005025.963088.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 345