2 batteries on a quadcopter

david

Hi,
Is it possible to use two batteries on a quadcopter and get a longer flight time? Are there any other ways to get a longer flight time on the quadcopters?

Thankyou

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
You can put as many batteries on a machine as you like if linking the packs in parallel. The point being that very quickly the aircraft will become too heavy to fly. Doubling your battery doesn't come close to doubling your flight time (assuming you are using sensible batteries to begin with). Batteries are the one piece of a Multirotor where a quantum leap in capability is badly needed. Many MRs will get 8-10 mins pretty easily with many getting as high as about 20 eg Phantom. Some can go for as much as an hour but that is not easy to achieve.

Av8Chuck

Hi David, not sure if I mentioned this before but welcome to the forum. It doesn't sound as if you've had much experience building or flying multirotors -- not to worry we all started that way, its good to ask questions but its much better if you purchase a small quad kit, build it and fly the crap out of it and you'll answer most of the questions you've been asking yourself.

You might give some thought to what you want to accomplish with MR's, how much time and money you'd like to spend then ask for recommendations on where to start.

Good luck and enjoy.

david

Hi David, not sure if I mentioned this before but welcome to the forum. It doesn't sound as if you've had much experience building or flying multirotors -- not to worry we all started that way, its good to ask questions but its much better if you purchase a small quad kit, build it and fly the crap out of it and you'll answer most of the questions you've been asking yourself.

You might give some thought to what you want to accomplish with MR's, how much time and money you'd like to spend then ask for recommendations on where to start.

Good luck and enjoy.
Thank you for the welcome and advice, Av8Chuck. I have taken a good look into a few things, thanks to fellow MRist like yourself, SleepyC and Carapau I have a clear picture of what to do and buy more or less (thou still need abit more directions into the right path). You're right about the experience bit too. :) That's why I'm asking all the questions, as ppl. and friends like yourself on the forum have more hands on experience.

haha49

I find if you want really long time you might want to look at a 6s setup. They tend to have a longer flight time on the lipo. But the draw back is cost and size.

Yes you can run 2 lipo packs I have 2 4s 3000mah lipos I run them togther now I also have 2 4s 6000mah lipos and 2 10400mah lipos.

At the end of the day it comes down to this the 2 get a little less then the 1 6000 due to a tiny amount more weight. If I run the big one I get 20 minutes the 6000 is 10 and the 3000 by it self is 4. Now depending on what your running props, motors ect you might be over loading it with a big lipo or running 2. There is a draw back to 2 lipos that is if 1 is lower then the other it doesn't work well. If 1 is more worn out then the other it doesn't work well they have to be matched ie same lipo use life ect. I find it's much better to run 1 large flight lipo and 1 small camera, fpv lipo.

david

I find if you want really long time you might want to look at a 6s setup. They tend to have a longer flight time on the lipo. But the draw back is cost and size.

Yes you can run 2 lipo packs I have 2 4s 3000mah lipos I run them togther now I also have 2 4s 6000mah lipos and 2 10400mah lipos.

At the end of the day it comes down to this the 2 get a little less then the 1 6000 due to a tiny amount more weight. If I run the big one I get 20 minutes the 6000 is 10 and the 3000 by it self is 4. Now depending on what your running props, motors ect you might be over loading it with a big lipo or running 2. There is a draw back to 2 lipos that is if 1 is lower then the other it doesn't work well. If 1 is more worn out then the other it doesn't work well they have to be matched ie same lipo use life ect. I find it's much better to run 1 large flight lipo and 1 small camera, fpv lipo.
thank you for the advice and reply ;)