1st time out with EachineX4 (JJRCx12)- not so good. Help please

Vindibona1

I got my EX4 today (same as JJRC X12 or C-Fly Faith) and charged up the batteries, registered it with the FAA, read the manual of the EX4 and JJRC X12 and thought I was ready to go. So I took my EX4 out to a deserted HS parking lot and did everything I thought I needed to do in pre-flight... BUT I HAVE TO BE MISSING SOMETHING, perhaps in startup routing, perhaps in calibration.

So I got it up in the air the first time... and within seconds the thing just ran away. It was supposed to be in GPS mode. It hovered ok. But as soon as I started to move it forward it took off, totally ran away where I couldn't control it *at all* and seconds later crashed. :(

So I turned everything off, went through the routine again... and this 2nd try everything worked as I think I should have. I got some control and was actually pretty happy with what I could do in only a few minutes of my first time with a drone. I got a battery warning light and brought it in, turned everything off and changed batteries.

BUT THEN CAME THE THIRD TIME...:eek::eek::eek:... SAME AS THE FIRST. The thing took off. And perhaps luckily it hit a berm before being catapulted into a major street about 80 yards away, maybe 100. I was so lucky that it didn't get run over by a car and rescued it. Luckily thing then seems to have come away undamaged (I think). Just the arms folded on impact. I packed it up and said enough for the day.

WHAT COULD I HAVE MISSED OR DONE WRONG ON THE 1st and 3rd rounds??? Perhaps I don't understand the calibration system? I certainly didn't memorize what the lights were telling me, dim as they were in the bright sunlight.

I did not go home with a smile on my face. :( THOUGHTS OR ADVICE, PLEASE?????