1080 vs. 4K

hawgrider

I am new to this hobby and am thinking about jumping in to buy a unit soon (likely the Blade Chroma). My question is, is there a big difference between the picture quality between the 1080 and the 4K? I mean a noticeable difference. I was also told that unless you have a 4K unit to replay the videos that you will not be able to show the videos in 4K. All I currently have is a 1080 TV. Just not sure if it is worth the additional cost of the 4K. Thanks much!!

Hawgrider

Paul-H

The big question is how 1080 is the 1080

Full HD is something like 1920x1080 but most sellers try to get away with claiming 1080x720 is Full HD.

THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN 4K and 1920 is not as obvious as the difference between 4K and 1080.

You will notice no difference in viewing until you upgrade your viewing equipment to 4k and the conversion by the TV might even make the quality inferior. But you will still have the original videos should you upgrade to 4k in the future. Although 4k's days may be numbered already. Anyone got 5k yet.

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
For the eye to resolve anything above HD then on a 55 inch screen you need to be sitting closer than 3ft6 or 4ft2 for a 65 inch TV. A lot of people just dont realise this and fall for 'the higher pixel count the better picture quality'. It all relates to what the human eye can resolve. The main reason you hear for using 4k from people who shoot video is due to the latitude it gives you in post production ie the ability to crop in, to stabilise to add in zoom effects etc. Bear in mind that to do any post production in 4k you need a reasonably capable computer otherwise things can quickly grind to a halt as steam starts pouring out of every port on the machine!

hawgrider

The big question is how 1080 is the 1080

Full HD is something like 1920x1080 but most sellers try to get away with claiming 1080x720 is Full HD.

THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN 4K and 1920 is not as obvious as the difference between 4K and 1080.

You will notice no difference in viewing until you upgrade your viewing equipment to 4k and the conversion by the TV might even make the quality inferior. But you will still have the original videos should you upgrade to 4k in the future. Although 4k's days may be numbered already. Anyone got 5k yet.

Funny you should mention that about the 5k. The hobby store owner just mentioned that at some point in the not too distant future 4k will be replaced with 5k...and so on and so forth. Well my TV is a Sony Bravia about 8 years old or so I believe, so maybe it's time to upgrade to the 4k.
Thanks for you input!!

hawgrider

For the eye to resolve anything above HD then on a 55 inch screen you need to be sitting closer than 3ft6 or 4ft2 for a 65 inch TV. A lot of people just dont realise this and fall for 'the higher pixel count the better picture quality'. It all relates to what the human eye can resolve. The main reason you hear for using 4k from people who shoot video is due to the latitude it gives you in post production ie the ability to crop in, to stabilise to add in zoom effects etc. Bear in mind that to do any post production in 4k you need a reasonably capable computer otherwise things can quickly grind to a halt as steam starts pouring out of every port on the machine!

Well at my age I probably wouldn't know the difference anyway. ;>) I appreciate your input....thanks!!

JoeBob

Elevation via Flatulation
I'm no expert, so I welcome any corrections to my perceptions.
But I believe that frame rate is as important as file size.
1080 30 is slightly fuzzy compared to 1080 60. 1080 120 can be slowed down to give nice slomo shots.
The faster frame rate (think shutter speed) is important to MRs because the camera is usually moving (vibrating) and the subject can be moving as well.

ie: I'd prefer 1080 60 over 4k 30.

JCLs

I have a really good 4K TV so I have shot some 4K and I can see a vivid difference. Just more realistic for lack of better description and yes frame rate most important when considering slow motion

KG5BBF AMA#954079

hawgrider

I have a really good 4K TV so I have shot some 4K and I can see a vivid difference. Just more realistic for lack of better description and yes frame rate most important when considering slow motion

KG5BBF AMA#954079
Have you had a chance to look at your 4K videos on a 1080 TV?

If you are doing this at the hobby level and not trying to produce professional video for income then I wouldn't worry about 4k. 1080 is fine and you probably wont ever notice the difference. Plus when your are editing video the larger the files the more taxing it is on your PC. Video editing is probably the hardest task a PC will ever preform. Professional videographers have custom PC's built specifically for video editing.

hawgrider

If you are doing this at the hobby level and not trying to produce professional video for income then I wouldn't worry about 4k. 1080 is fine and you probably wont ever notice the difference. Plus when your are editing video the larger the files the more taxing it is on your PC. Video editing is probably the hardest task a PC will ever preform. Professional videographers have custom PC's built specifically for video editing.

Thanks for your input. Well my videos will certainly not be for commercial use, only private. Just a hobby. I might just play around with making videos so if a 1080 is fine for that I will most likely just pursue that avenue.

JCLs

Have you had a chance to look at your 4K videos on a 1080 TV?
Nope. I have been told by others that shooting 4K and editing like it is 1080 produces "better" 1080 but that makes not a lot of sense to me unless it has to do with the editor itself. On GoPro my standard is 1080, 30 fps so I can snap still pics at same time.

KG5BBF AMA#954079

Last edited by a moderator: