550MM Turkey "H" build with templates

Windy

I have built and used a Turnigy Talon V2 frame and decided I could do better my self. I disliked the small center plates and I had to stack two more on top to get my electronics onboard. Then I needed to add protection or a cover. The landing gear are too short for an under mounted camera, and I didn't see stacking it on top. So I decided to modify the frame and needed a way to manufacture the carbon plates.
I am CAD experienced, and I have a old licensed copy of AutoCAD Light. It works well for the kind of drawing I do. So I laid out my design of an "H" copter needed to manufacture the plates. I bought a 12" x 24" sheet of 1.5mm carbon plate and began to cut it. The top and bottom plates are about 14" long by 3" wide. I first rough cut strips and pieces on my tile saw.

Next I printed my plate designs on Avery Clear shipping label paper that comes in 8.5x11". I then carefully laid them over the plates being sure to keep the two pieces in line and straight.

I then wet to my drill press and drill 1/16" holes over the center marks for each hole or radius.

I then used a 3mm bit to drill 14 connector holes an counter sunk them. The rest were drilled out to 1/8".

Finally using a dremmel, I trimmed each piece and cut holes.

Then I hand filed everything to the layout lines and I completed the bottom plate.

Thought others might like to see how this goes.
I will post the top plate when I get it finished and then the assembly.

Windy

Here all 4 plates are loosely assembled to show the plan. The two major plates are 25 mm apart. You can see the prop arm. It is part of the Turnigy Talon, but shortened to 5 " . I am using their tube clamps to attach to the body plates.
There are three vibration plates. There is one below the main bottom plate for an under hung Camera gimbal. The two above the top plate are for the controller in the middle, and a FPV camera and GPS are mounted on the front plate.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Nice work! I've been cutting some plates on a small CNC mill I built. Nice to be able to design to the needs you have.

Keep up the good work.

Windy

I can't afford a CNC, but I have explored having my plates cut for me. It seems very expensive though.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Probably depends on who you have cut them. The problem with cutting Carbon Fiber (and to a lesser extent G10) is that it kills the cutters quick. I have some special end mills for these tasks, but they dull quickly. That cost adds up.

It's also nasty sh*t to breathe.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Carbon fiber is insanely expensive (although 6061 is up right now too). The G10 is a cheaper solution. Not quite as light, but cuts easily and stands up to abuse.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
It's fiberglass. Also called garolite. It comes on various versions - so the "10" is just one particular type most often associated with these frames. Any multirotor frame that is not CF would be G10.

Windy

Thanks, I will try it on my nest frame. I don't like working with carbon fiber and I lack the money to buy a cnc.

This frame is ready for testing and calibration.